Go Back   WorldwideDX Amateur Radio Forums > Amateur Radio Related > Amplifiers


Amateur Callsign Lookup
Enter Callsign:

4 pill question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
AudioShockwav's Avatar
Extraterrestrial Admin
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: High Sierras Near Yosemite Nat Park
Posts: 5,051
AudioShockwav has disabled reputation
Default


Key downs are a totally different ball game.
You need the best antenna system you can put together.
You need a good ground plane under that antenna system
You need to keep loss as low as possible.
You need a Comp style amp that you can Volt the shit out of.
You need a way to feed that 18 or 19 or 20 volts to that comp amp with out voltage drop.
You need a big fire extinguisher on hand if something goes wrong.



It is kinda like NHRA Top fuel class
If you plan on running that hard, you got to have spare piston`s on hand and rebuild the motor after every event.

73
Jeff
__________________
Radio-active

NASA/SOHO


When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
but I have become comfortably numb.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Se7en's Avatar
W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 4,673
Se7en is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioShockwav View Post
Key downs are a totally different ball game.
You need the best antenna system you can put together.
You need a good ground plane under that antenna system
You need to keep loss as low as possible.
You need a Comp style amp that you can Volt the shit out of.
You need a way to feed that 18 or 19 or 20 volts to that comp amp with out voltage drop.
You need a big fire extinguisher on hand if something goes wrong.



It is kinda like NHRA Top fuel class
If you plan on running that hard, you got to have spare piston`s on hand and rebuild the motor after every event.

73
Jeff
were not running no competition suburban keydown just a little get together. lol
check your pm's boss.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
AudioShockwav's Avatar
Extraterrestrial Admin
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: High Sierras Near Yosemite Nat Park
Posts: 5,051
AudioShockwav has disabled reputation
Default

RE output on the 500 V
I got a hold of the other gentleman that got the same amp about the same time I did, he could not remember the exact number either, he thinks it was 620 watts ....I have an e-mail for one of the guys that used to work at the shop, so I will contact him and try to get a definite number for you, but I still think the test you did shows it will produce no more, do to the fact that as you increased drive, output did not go up.....unless it is starving for current....that is the final call.
When he writes back, I will let you know.

73
Jeff
__________________
Radio-active

NASA/SOHO


When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
but I have become comfortably numb.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Se7en's Avatar
W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 4,673
Se7en is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioShockwav View Post
RE output on the 500 V
I got a hold of the other gentleman that got the same amp about the same time I did, he could not remember the exact number either, he thinks it was 620 watts ....I have an e-mail for one of the guys that used to work at the shop, so I will contact him and try to get a definite number for you, but I still think the test you did shows it will produce no more, do to the fact that as you increased drive, output did not go up.....unless it is starving for current....that is the final call.
When he writes back, I will let you know.

73
Jeff
thanks.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM
BOOTY MONSTER
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

even if you got 1000 watts out of a 4 pill it'll be very rare that you make a contact that you couldn't make with 500 watts .
but at 500 watts your signal is cleaner and will be much much less likely to interfere with other electronics .
the down side is you can only tx on one channel at a time

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
TonyV225's Avatar
W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,626
TonyV225 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
even if you got 1000 watts out of a 4 pill it'll be very rare that you make a contact that you couldn't make with 500 watts .
but at 500 watts your signal is cleaner and will be much much less likely to interfere with other electronics .
the down side is you can only tx on one channel at a time
LMA!!! Yeah Im thinking thats exactly what some people think is the definition of a (BROADBANDED AMPLIFIER) and thats how you makesure you are getting out worldwide!!
__________________
""""was not thinking of a cber sat with his makita screwdriver winding round the presets untill his meter said s9+60db from a guy on a handheld 15 miles away""""

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Se7en's Avatar
W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 4,673
Se7en is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV225 View Post
LMA!!! Yeah Im thinking thats exactly what some people think is the definition of a (BROADBANDED AMPLIFIER) and thats how you makesure you are getting out worldwide!!
lol @ broad banded antenna,,,,

i think the starting of this thread was incorrectly typed up. im not wanting this amp to do more than 500w...... its 4 2879s that's as good as it gets. but SURE I CAN GET IT TO DO 800w \.....BUT there is a catch to it..... i BETTER HAVE SOME MATCHED 2879's in my pocket.
im more stuck on this ratio thing........
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Happy_Hamer's Avatar
Forum Administrator
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,060
Happy_Hamer has disabled reputation
Default

Just curious, what radio are you "driving" this amp with?
__________________
That's how I roll!!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Worldwide Radio Forum



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a "pill". i.e. 2 pill, 4 pill, 8 pill...? jimbowilly CB Band and CB Radios 9 04-13-2011 07:03 PM
NCVEC Deletes Question from Amateur Extra Question Pool ARRL ARRL Updates 0 03-28-2011 11:00 PM
NCVEC Releases Second Technician Question Pool ARRL ARRL Updates 0 02-02-2010 02:00 PM
NCVEC Releases New Technician Class Question Pool ARRL ARRL Updates 1 01-05-2010 05:04 AM
pill swap in a Stryker 440HP question. King Mudduck General CB Services Discussion 2 09-01-2006 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Worldwide Radio Forum