Go Back   WorldwideDX Amateur Radio Forums > Amateur Radio Related > Amplifiers


Amateur Callsign Lookup
Enter Callsign:

SB 200 makes a great Driver

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 784
Mr Clean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SB 200 makes a great Driver


I have been using a Heathkit SB 200 for a driver for a bigger box for the last few weeks and it works great. I have a Uniden Grant driving the Heathkit with 3 watts dk and 14 watts pep im seeing 30 watts dk 200 pep out of the amp. Almost perfect for driving my Wizard. Another plus is I was going to have to take the Wiz back to the builder to have a SSB delay installed but with the 200 in front of it 0 relay chatter on SSB. Running the Wiz at about 600 watts DK. 1600 pep. 500 avg. 1600 on SSB. Running that 200 easy like that makes for some clean audio. And the SB200 works great for local chat.

Last edited by Mr Clean; 07-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Drifter's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Under a coconut tree in the Carribbean sipping on white rum and coke!!!
Posts: 382
Drifter is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
I have been using a Heathkit SB 200 for a driver for a bigger box for the last few weeks and it works great. I have a Uniden Grant driving the Heathkit with 3 watts dk and 14 watts pep im seeing 30 watts dk 200 pep out of the amp. Almost perfect for driving my Wizard. Another plus is I was going to have to take the Wiz back to the builder to have a SSB delay installed but with the 200 in front of it 0 relay chatter on SSB. Running the Wiz at about 600 watts DK. 1600 pep. 500 avg. 1600 on SSB. Running that 200 easy like that makes for some clean audio. And the SB200 works great for local chat.
__________________

Yaesu 101E
Signal Engineering lightning 6 quad Antenna on a 60FT crank up tower.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 AM
King of NY
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rotten Apple Trees
Posts: 616
linearone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

very cool and the sb200 will last forever at those power levels.

what size wizard box?
__________________
Bomb Diggity!
_____________________________________
Quote Bob85: "peoples' personal non factual opinions mean nothing to me period, BS is 10 cents a gallon anywhere you look for it"

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 784
Mr Clean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linearone View Post
very cool and the sb200 will last forever at those power levels.

what size wizard box?
Running a GS-31B Box. May go bigger in the future but it does a nice job.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
King of NY
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rotten Apple Trees
Posts: 616
linearone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

you mean a gs35b right? it would take an awful lot of gs31b's to make that power lol
__________________
Bomb Diggity!
_____________________________________
Quote Bob85: "peoples' personal non factual opinions mean nothing to me period, BS is 10 cents a gallon anywhere you look for it"

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 784
Mr Clean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linearone View Post
you mean a gs35b right? it would take an awful lot of gs31b's to make that power lol

No its a GS-31B. Its rated at 1000 watts but they were rated real conservitive. A GS35B is rated at 1500 watts but guys are getting 2500 pep out of them. They were built for the Russian Military and I guess they made them Beefy. I dont know if the were rated for avg or pep but just running mine at 500 watts avg. Using a Diawa true pep meter that has avg also. here is what they look like. http://www.nd2x.net/gs31b.html

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 291
n8fgb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
No its a GS-31B. Its rated at 1000 watts but they were rated real conservitive. A GS35B is rated at 1500 watts but guys are getting 2500 pep out of them. They were built for the Russian Military and I guess they made them Beefy. I dont know if the were rated for avg or pep but just running mine at 500 watts avg. Using a Diawa true pep meter that has avg also. here is what they look like. gs-31b
That is pate dissapation. Should see at least 50% more output.I am upgrading a 3-1000 amp to GS35B. Building power supply from scratch. Just received by triode control board from WD7S today. Got a day of soldering tommorow.
Rich

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 784
Mr Clean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

So your saying a GS-31B is capable of 2000 watts pep. 1000 avg? The Builder said after the Triode was broke in 2000 pep was possible but im not going to push that hard..

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Worldwide Radio Forum



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Worldwide Radio Forum