Go Back   WorldwideDX Amateur Radio Forums > Citizens Band Related > CB Band and CB Radios


Amateur Callsign Lookup
Enter Callsign:

My First CB Radio Contact

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AuSable River
Posts: 16
Angler is on a distinguished road
Default My First CB Radio Contact


I finally got everything set-up on my first cb radio and made my first contact. Yesterday, after installing the antenna and hooking everything up, I made contact with "Capt. Walker" and chatted with him for about five minutes. I was hearing him very well and he said I was blowing him out of his car. What a relief! I am a total newbie with cb and I was very worried about doing my set-up right. That first contact was a great feeling and I would like to thank everyone for all the info on this forum that I have been trying to understand.

Cobra 142GTL
Imax 2000


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Superidgit's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 504
Superidgit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
I finally got everything set-up on my first cb radio and made my first contact. Yesterday, after installing the antenna and hooking everything up, I made contact with "Capt. Walker" and chatted with him for about five minutes. I was hearing him very well and he said I was blowing him out of his car. What a relief! I am a total newbie with cb and I was very worried about doing my set-up right. That first contact was a great feeling and I would like to thank everyone for all the info on this forum that I have been trying to understand.

Cobra 142GTL
Imax 2000
WTG!!

I am sure you will make many many more. Have fun!!
__________________
I stalk because I care.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Jock Supporter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,534
mackmobile43 is on a distinguished road
Default

awesome, enjoy

Was it a local contact or long distance/dx?

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Needle Bender's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 921
Needle Bender is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
I finally got everything set-up on my first cb radio and made my first contact. Yesterday, after installing the antenna and hooking everything up, I made contact with "Capt. Walker" and chatted with him for about five minutes. I was hearing him very well and he said I was blowing him out of his car. What a relief! I am a total newbie with cb and I was very worried about doing my set-up right. That first contact was a great feeling and I would like to thank everyone for all the info on this forum that I have been trying to understand.

Cobra 142GTL
Imax 2000
where are you located? if you put up a simple horizontal dipole of wire stretched across two points as high as possible you should work dx even better then your vertical in the direction broadside to the dipole. just attach the coax center to one side and the sheild to the other and make each side about 8 feet 7 inches with an insulator on the ends

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AuSable River
Posts: 16
Angler is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmobile43 View Post
awesome, enjoy

Was it a local contact or long distance/dx?
It was a local contact. When he answered me he said he was about nine or ten miles south of me and I talked to him until he got to his destination which was a few miles from where I am.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AuSable River
Posts: 16
Angler is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle Bender View Post
where are you located? if you put up a simple horizontal dipole of wire stretched across two points as high as possible you should work dx even better then your vertical in the direction broadside to the dipole. just attach the coax center to one side and the sheild to the other and make each side about 8 feet 7 inches with an insulator on the ends
I am in the northeastern lower peninsula of Michigan almost on Lake Huron. I don't know if you are saying I should put up a different antenna or just add a modification to mine.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Needle Bender's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 921
Needle Bender is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
I am in the northeastern lower peninsula of Michigan almost on Lake Huron. I don't know if you are saying I should put up a different antenna or just add a modification to mine.
addng a horizontal wire dipole to your arsenal. it's a cheap and easy way to increase your dx-ability. if you stretch it north-south then you will have good performance east-west

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Jock Supporter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,534
mackmobile43 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
It was a local contact. When he answered me he said he was about nine or ten miles south of me and I talked to him until he got to his destination which was a few miles from where I am.
Even better, good show

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Worldwide Radio Forum



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The ARRL Letter Vol. 27, No. 16 April 25, 2008 AudioShockwav FCC & ARRL Activity 0 04-25-2008 04:27 PM
The ARRL Letter Vol. 27, No. 10 March 14, 2008 AudioShockwav FCC & ARRL Activity 0 03-14-2008 08:33 PM
The ARRL Letter Vol. 26, No. 47 November 30, 2007 AudioShockwav FCC & ARRL Activity 0 11-30-2007 07:14 PM
Marine Radio Rules Charger383 Scanning & Shortwave Listening 0 07-07-2002 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Worldwide Radio Forum