Go Back   WorldwideDX Amateur Radio Forums > Citizens Band Related > CB Radio Modifications


Amateur Callsign Lookup
Enter Callsign:

Planning to convert a mobile CB into a monster base station.

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM
mr_fx's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,425
mr_fx is on a distinguished road
Default Planning to convert a mobile CB into a monster base station.


I have been looking at some older radios like the DAK radios and others, but they are just some expensive and somewhat lacking in features. I mean a guy could buy a mobile radio, an amp and a 2 pill for the cost of something like that.

Well this got me thinking, what if I fabricated up my own chassis? I could use what ever radio I wanted,and even cram in a small amp and large power supply into the radio, maybe even a frequency counter... Plus I have this old indication that lights up and says 'ON AIR'

I was thinking that I could put all the mic inputs on the back of the radio and set it up to be keyed by a separate little box.

I would also be going wideband on the audio

I have narrowed it down to a few radios I might use for this little idea. - Cobra 148 GTL (side mic)
- Galaxy DX 88HL
- Galaxy DX 99V
- President HR2510
Might even consider using my Roadpro Titan II 485 (single final version of the Magnum 257)

As for an amp I have a PA section from and Atlas 350 XL ( 2sc2290 x 4) that would certainly put a little fire in the wire. I also have a Palomar TX-150 (MRF455 x 2) or maybe I will use an RM Italy kl-203 or KL-503. I have even considered the PA section from an RCI 2970 (or better yet a 2970n2)

I also might tie in a Texas Ranger FC 390 6 digit frequency counter

as for the power supply I figured that a Mega Watt 36 amp unit sure would be hard to beat for $65 shipped

and last but not least a nice well thought out aluminum front panel with no wires in the front NONE

anyone like the idea? anything I should add to it? waste of time?
__________________
160/80 wire GMV, 20/15/10/6 vertical, 40/20/10 fan dipole, 17/15/12/6 fan dipole, 8ft 2m/440 colinear, Tarheel 200a w/ cap hat


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Robb's Avatar
Yup
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Posts: 7,829
Robb is on a distinguished road
Default

Q: What single thing is the core of a monster base station?

A: A monster antenna.

You have said nothing about the most important part - IMO . . .
hookedon6 likes this.
__________________
BASE: Kenwood TS-2000, GAP Titan DX, Diamond X50A, Sirio SY27-4, and IMAX 2000.
MOBILE: Galaxy DX99V w/RF Limited CR-577 mic, Sirio Z-180. Yaesu FT-8800R & Diamond NR-770.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
m42duster's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast Ohio
Posts: 6,708
m42duster is on a distinguished road
Default

An Imax 2000 fed with mountain wire? sounds like a good match.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
mr_fx's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,425
mr_fx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Q: What single thing is the core of a monster base station?

A: A monster antenna.

You have said nothing about the most important part - IMO . . .


very true but that's another project entirely isn't it?
__________________
160/80 wire GMV, 20/15/10/6 vertical, 40/20/10 fan dipole, 17/15/12/6 fan dipole, 8ft 2m/440 colinear, Tarheel 200a w/ cap hat

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM
BOOTY MONSTER
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

you may find this thread very helpful

Login

Starburst really put a lot of thought in it and it is very impressive !!!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
mr_fx's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,425
mr_fx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
you may find this thread very helpful

Login

Starburst really put a lot of thought in it and it is very impressive !!!

did not have an account, but he has a youtube channel, very cool
__________________
160/80 wire GMV, 20/15/10/6 vertical, 40/20/10 fan dipole, 17/15/12/6 fan dipole, 8ft 2m/440 colinear, Tarheel 200a w/ cap hat

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Robb's Avatar
Yup
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Posts: 7,829
Robb is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fx View Post
very true but that's another project entirely isn't it?
That will depend on how one defines a 'monster station' - doesn't it?

I don't have a monster. Yet, with as little as 80 watts, clean transmit audio, and a four element beam have talked around the world. Imagine my surprise when a station in Moscow, Russia remarked on how loud and clear my station was.
He asked me just how I did it.
I replied: "I don't know what you mean, it must be the skip conditions - it is just a simple station".
He was running over a thousand watts; and I ran only eighty.

I will disagree with those that say that high quality audio is of no real benefit - especially when talking skip. My experience and opinion is completely opposite of that. That is how I define a 'monster station'. 'Monster high quality audio' is the way to make it happen; and then make sure the rest of the equipment has been thought out well. Over-modulation for any station should be a non-starter. Clean audio is better in every respect.

When talking skip across the US daily, I use no more than 50 watts.
People telling me that I am 'blowing smoke' and 'in their driveway'.

I don't do the AM thing; just side band. AM has the same needs. The real results are the perceptions of others, and this can be fairly inconsistent too. If you want to be the most bodacious station in your town; then put a vertical antenna up higher than anybody else has. But if you mean skip; then a beam is really top dog - no doubt about it!

I would think that 500 watts of AB1 power and the squeaky clean audio will work too. But the antenna is what will make the largest difference - always. A four element quad beam will always make even a small amount of power sound like one is using a linear.
N8YX, 6.0 Liter, wavrider and 1 others like this.
__________________
BASE: Kenwood TS-2000, GAP Titan DX, Diamond X50A, Sirio SY27-4, and IMAX 2000.
MOBILE: Galaxy DX99V w/RF Limited CR-577 mic, Sirio Z-180. Yaesu FT-8800R & Diamond NR-770.

Last edited by Robb; 03-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 AM
W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,944
wavrider is on a distinguished road
Default

The antenna is 95% of the station.

Of course there are always those who will slap a vertical in the air and try to squeeze every last watt out of a radio and amplifier so they can look at the watt meter and know they are "Blowing smoke" irregardless of what they actually sound like when transmitting.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
That will depend on how one defines a 'monster station' - doesn't it?

I don't have a monster. Yet, with as little as 80 watts, clean transmit audio, and a four element beam have talked around the world. Imagine my surprise when a station in Moscow, Russia remarked on how loud and clear my station was.
He asked me just how I did it.
I replied: "I don't know what you mean, it must be the skip conditions - it is just a simple station".
He was running over a thousand watts; and I ran only eighty.

I will disagree with those that say that high quality audio is of no real benefit - especially when talking skip. My experience and opinion is completely opposite of that. That is how I define a 'monster station'. 'Monster high quality audio' is the way to make it happen; and then make sure the rest of the equipment has been thought out well. Over-modulation for any station should be a non-starter. Clean audio is better in every respect.

When talking skip across the US daily, I use no more than 50 watts.
People telling me that I am 'blowing smoke' and 'in their driveway'.

I don't do the AM thing; just side band. AM has the same needs. The real results are the perceptions of others, and this can be fairly inconsistent too. If you want to be the most bodacious station in your town; then put a vertical antenna up higher than anybody else has. But if you mean skip; then a beam is really top dog - no doubt about it!

I would think that 500 watts of AB1 power and the squeaky clean audio will work too. But the antenna is what will make the largest difference - always. A four element quad beam will always make even a small amount of power sound like one is using a linear.
twister252 likes this.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Worldwide Radio Forum



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's another $10,000 fine to a CBer! C W Morse FCC & ARRL Activity 10 12-17-2011 05:23 PM
Remember: You MUST allow your Station to be Inspected! C W Morse FCC & ARRL Activity 36 01-19-2011 09:25 AM
What do you think about the new BC796D mobile base? CB COBRA 148 GTL SSB AND Scanning & Shortwave Listening 2 08-15-2006 08:52 PM
Best mobile used as base? hossless CB Band and CB Radios 16 04-04-2006 05:35 PM
Marine Radio Rules Charger383 Scanning & Shortwave Listening 0 07-07-2002 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Worldwide Radio Forum