I need help choosing my next radio. Here's what I want:
1. Use radio for backwood emergencies and communicating with group.
2. Freeband on FRS and Aviation (for emergency only). Rather re-program the radio than de-solder. Frequencies need to be accurate so I get good communication on the FRS/Aviation channels.
3. Scan frequencies for activity. In an emergency, I want to find out where someone is in the spectrum.
4. APRS satellite.
6. Long battery life and easy charging. Don't limit the battery comparison to only what comes with the radio.
7. Good UI, as I don't like carrying a manual with me.
8. Another feature I wish the radios had is I don't like giving up my voice TX
band when using APRS.
For reference I have a Kenwood TH-D7. I have Standard Horizon/Yaesu HX-470 for my marine VHF. Prefer the Yaesu solid quality. Like the TH-D7 size and form factor.
I like the Yaesu GPS screen better, as it shows me the number of satellites. Not sure how Kenwood notifies a lost/poor GPS signal.
What is going to be the deciding feature between the two?