05-20-2009, 01:23 AM
| || || |
Join Date: Apr 2002
OK, this is completely retarded-It only took me an hour to figure this out tonight, because the Yaesu manual is incomplete on this feature. I had the same exact problem as KC0ZPS, so don't feel bad. The only way I figured it out is by reading my VX-2 manual and emulating the steps, which are similar but slightly different.
Anyway, here's how you do it:
1) Set radio in VFO mode in the Mono band mode.
2) Rotate the DIAL knob, while pressing and holding the MODE key to select "Smart Search" mode.
3) Release the MODE key to begin the Channel Counter.
3A) MISSING INSTRUCTIONS - PRESS AND HOLD THE BAND KEY UNTIL THE SCAN STARTS.
7) To return to normal operation, press the MODE key.
8) MORE MISSING INSTRUCTIONS - To retrieve the SMS memories, repeat steps 1-3 to enter SMS mode. After that, rotate the dial to choose the desired SMS Memory. To return to normal operation, press the MODE key
Like I said, don't feel bad because this step isn't in the instructions. It seems that C2's VX-8 doesn't behave this way. I'm starting to think that there are some newer firmware versions being delivered.