Here is how you modify the TH-D72 to transmit out of the 2m/440 band:
Take the radio apart by following this sequence of steps:
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the antenna and pull off the top dial knobs
- Remove the two screws on the back.
- Unlatch the rubber ports cover from the post on the back. Use a small screwdriver to slip under and it just pops off.
- Pull the case up and off.
- Detach the rubber button cover from the front and set it aside.
At the bottom front of the circuit board, below the number button pads, there is a small diode labeled D729. Remove that diode shown in this pic:
Remove the screw that holds the LCD display in place and gently lay it over. Underneath the display there is a row with three diodes labeled 1,2,3 near the speaker ribbon cable. Remove diode D730 (labeled 1)
This is how the 3 diodes should be after mod:
1 - removed
2 - removed (USA version does not have it)
3 - must remain in itīs place (that means DO NOT remove it!)
Reassemble the radio and perform a FULL reset by going into the Auxilliary menu.
Transmit range is now: 136-173.995 MHZ
410-469.975 MHZ note:
Thanks to XE1BRX for updating the original version of this mod resulting in greater TX