• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1.5 KW PEP Gain-Master Modification

I'm sure you could do this but the main problem is there is very little room inside the fiberglass radome where this cap is located. You have about 1/2 inch inside diameter and if the goal is making the cap handle as much power as possible in this size, I think you're better off with Teflon as the dielectric material. The nice thing about using the RG-393 cable is that you don't have to tune it. As long as the braid is cut the same length as the stock RG-303 cap, you have the same pf value. Changing the diameter of the conductors, insulator spacing between them or the velocity factor of the insulation and the length of the cap will have to be tuned to the correct value.

I think you touched on this earlier you could make that handle 10 kw but the rest of the system doesnt seem to work.

GAINMASTER

well what can i say i will keep it short the gainmaster has to be the worst antenna iv used up @ 50ft gettin static , bad reports tx & rx and then ya have the power issue gainmaster lasted 2 weeks took it back dwn and put back up my 827 thank god all back to normal its in my eyes away over priced fishin rod thats my opinion im entitled to it :thumbdown:

DAVE.DX

well what can i say i will keep it short the gainmaster has to be the worst antenna iv used up @ 50ft gettin static , bad reports tx & rx and then ya have the power issue gainmaster lasted 2 weeks took it back dwn and put back up my 827 thank god all back to normal its in my eyes away over priced fishin rod thats my opinion im entitled to it :thumbdown:

DAVE.DX

It is odd that your findings are the exact opposite of 99% of those who have tested this antenna. Most report a reduction in noise level and nearly everyone has experienced some degree of signal increase. Perhaps you damaged yours overlooking the power rating? In any event, increasing the power handling capacity to 1.5 KW should alleviate most peoples issues with this antenna. If you need more then this, I recommend the use of a directional antenna.

im new at all this antenna stuff, just use an a99 myself. do you think them boys at sirio will start doing this mod to there antennas before selling them now?

DAVE.DX

Dave, we have heard of more than a few gain masters getting damaged in shipping because of the proximity of the coax cables to the end of the box.

some had smashed coax, and at least one had a staple through the coax.

you might want to check your gain master for flaws in the coax before passing judgment on it.

also, if you do find some coax damage, you can probably send it back and get a new one.

the gain master is a smart design and is not based on snake oil CB myths.
it should be equal to or slightly better than that 827 in performance.
since yours was worse, i would say that the antenna was damaged or something else was amiss with the installation.

in my opinion, Sirio always planned on making a higher power version of this antenna, and they introduced the current version as a way to make extra money.

how many people who already own a "low power" gain master, will purchase the new "high power" version when it comes out?

my guess is quite a few.

remember that any time you buy any "state of the art" or "new design" consumer electronics; you are in essence a guinea pig.
manufacturers used to do whats called "beta testing" before they sold a new product, which involved sending out free units to certain individuals who would then report back on the pros, cons, and bugs left to work out.

they have now realized that its cheaper to have the consumer beta test their products for them, and all they have to do is create a "have to have this" hype so that a large number of people will run out and buy the thing.

they then work out the bugs based on returns, and issue a "2.0" or "new and improved" version.

i dont buy anything the first two years its out, and its not because im cheap.
LC

im new at all this antenna stuff, just use an a99 myself. do you think them boys at sirio will start doing this mod to there antennas before selling them now?

My contacts at Sirio have informed me it will not be economical for them to modify this antenna at the factory. My modification cannot be done on their assembly line. It would require hand work that would be cost prohibitive. This is the only reason why I've released the modification publicly. So that those who are able to complete the mod will have the option of more power handling. I see the excellent performance characteristics of this antennas design to be worth the effort of installing the modification if your power level exceeds its stock ratings.

differnt versions

i was looking at differnt suppliers and can find differnt versions of rg393. some is 66% some is 69% some is 70% valocity factor and they are different capasitense too like 29 to 33 pft. what is the right factor and capasitense? i want to by one and mod it right off but i dont want to get the wrong version.

i was looking at differnt suppliers and can find differnt versions of rg393. some is 66% some is 69% some is 70% valocity factor and they are different capasitense too like 29 to 33 pft. what is the right factor and capasitense? i want to by one and mod it right off but i dont want to get the wrong version.

Times Microwave manufactures the right cable. RG-393 should be Teflon or PTFE insulated and that would dictate a 66% velocity factor. The rated capacitance value should be 29.4 pf per foot.

i found others that are not the same spec but they claim to use teflon
http://www.crownelectronics.com/Specs/RG-393
RG-393/U Coaxial Cable; 50ohm [RG393U] : Cross RF, RF & Microwave Interconnect Essentilals
Buy M17/127-RG393 Online from Allied Wire & Cable | Distributor of Coaxial Cables
i also found some rg303 that was 70%vf and 32pft
did you get the specs directly from sirio? i dont mean to act doubtfull but i just dont wanbt to have to mod it more than one time. just too much work for my bad back.:(

i found others that are not the same spec but they claim to use teflon
http://www.crownelectronics.com/Specs/RG-393
RG-393/U Coaxial Cable; 50ohm [RG393U] : Cross RF, RF & Microwave Interconnect Essentilals
Buy M17/127-RG393 Online from Allied Wire & Cable | Distributor of Coaxial Cables
i also found some rg303 that was 70%vf and 32pft
did you get the specs directly from sirio? i dont mean to act doubtfull but i just dont wanbt to have to mod it more than one time. just too much work for my bad back.:(

Imagine that, cables that carry the same part number and Mil Spec number are not necessarily the same after all! The original RG-303 coax is manufactured by Habia Cable in the UK. It has a velocity factor of 70% and the capacitance is 94 pf per meter or 28.65 pf per foot. The velocity factor is more important when dealing with matching stubs and phasing cables then it is in this case. Since the cable is being used as a capacitor its pf rating is most important.

The 0.75 pf difference in the Times Microwave coax made no change in the bandwidth that I could see once the top black wire was trimmed to compensate for the extra length the braid adds. Apparently the differences in specifications between these two manufacturers of RG-393 are well within the tolerance required to match this antenna. It's still a good idea to match the specs to the original as close as possible and I thank NRG for pointing this out because I was unaware of it.

Imagine that, cables that carry the same part number and Mil Spec number are not necessarily the same after all! The original RG-303 coax is manufactured by Habia Cable in the UK. It has a velocity factor of 70% and the capacitance is 94 pf per meter or 28.65 pf per foot. The velocity factor is more important when dealing with matching stubs and phasing cables then it is in this case. Since the cable is being used as a capacitor its pf rating is most important.

The 0.75 pf difference in the Times Microwave coax made no change in the bandwidth that I could see once the top black wire was trimmed to compensate for the extra length the braid adds. Apparently the differences in specifications between these two manufacturers of RG-393 are well within the tolerance required to match this antenna. It's still a good idea to match the specs to the original as close as possible and I thank NRG for pointing this out because I was unaware of it.

.75 pf?

You can walk into the room and change capacitance more than that.

ok ill use times and thanks for clarifing that. i cant spell fer sh!^ but i try to do my homework:redface: i was just thinking about the strength of it and how the whole wait is on the sheild of the times. do you think it would be smart to use parashoot cord from the top down to below the conector in the middle with epoxy as a wait baring asisst? i just spent a year on the habai.com website and cant find any specs for 303.:(

Last edited:
ok ill use times and thanks for clarifing that. i cant spell fer sh!^ but i try to do my homework:redface: i was just thinking about the strength of it and how the whole wait is on the sheild of the times. do you think it would be smart to use parashoot cord from the top down to below the conector in the middle with epoxy as a wait baring asisst? i just spent a year on the habai.com website and cant find any specs for 303.:(

The braid of the RG-393 is a double braid that is silver plated copper. The end where the black wire is soldered to has been tinned all the way around the coax so that it's bonded to all of the strands in the braid. It looks like it is much stronger then the black wire itself. Sealing it in the double wall heat shrink tubing lined with hot glue inside, locks the entire unit together very well. The weight of the cable is nearly nothing. Adding the parachute cord inside the fiberglass from the top down could change the Velocity factor and VSWR a little. Here is the PDF page for the Teflon cables from Habia: http://www.aerco.co.uk/images/sub_sub_categories/RG-302---RG-400-PTFE-Coaxial-cable-types.pdf

thanks again. so you ended up cutting of about 3-4" of the black wire right? i have had bad luck with hot glue melting in the heat and summer gets real hot in phoenix. what about 20 minute epoxy instead?

thanks again. so you ended up cutting of about 3-4" of the black wire right? i have had bad luck with hot glue melting in the heat and summer gets real hot in phoenix. what about 20 minute epoxy instead?

That's correct. The amount you cut off is equal to the length of the braid on the new capacitor. This does not include the extra length of braid soldered to the bottom of the board or the small length of black wire that is overlapped on the braid for soldering. I recommend using a VSWR meter to trim this wire back to the original bandwidth. This can be done with a 10 foot pole on the ground in the open.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.