• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" whip base install

fasteddie

Jul 20, 2009
upstate ny
have a fixed 102" stainless whip i want to use as a base antena question is how do i tune it it is a fixed langth. i am used to say a wilson that has a set screw and u langthen or shortening the antena. how do u tune this thing i dont want to just start buching the thing thanks guys.:confused:

Usually I just use them as is, but if you want to get picky, you have to either add length through a spacer or remove length by cutting. I use a cold chisle to cut but you can use a cut off wheel. it WILL wreck bolt cutters, dikes, etc.

PR

From what I understand you need to add the mounting spring to those to get them closer to the proper length than start cutting using a SWR meter in line with your radio. Its something like 108" = 1/4 wave length not 102" or something like that.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

i also heard something abought adding the spring also. and also adding shims afterwerds or choping it whatever it neads to bring it in but wasn't shure.

Good Luck!
Your probably better off setting up a dipole, or a I-10K.
I tried and tried. Got the antenna to tune well, but performance was poor at best. Your gonna need radials, and get it up as high as you can.
You may have better luck....

My attempt:
PICT3569Small.jpg

PICT3572Small.jpg

antena was given to me by my grandfather so i have nothing invested. I am using a lilwill mag mount for my base now so i figured the 102" steel whip would work better. i have a 20 foot steel poll to mount it on that i will afix to my chiminy it shouuld be up their 40 foot or so.

The 102" whip will not work very well like you suggest installing it, without a suitable ground plane.

With all the stuff we have on the Earth, very few antennas will work as well down low like quicksilver did his. Antennas generally always work much better up high enough to clear the ground clutter and with a clear shot at the horizon.

Adding a little length to the 102" whip will probably lower the center frequency a little lower into the area of the CB band as already suggested. However, the very broad bandwidth you should have if the 1/4 wave is working right should allow you to barely notice any difference. In particular if you just use an inline SWR meter to measure---you should see a low SWR that is basically flat all the way across the CB band and more. So, why even mess with a spring or an extension, and tuning should not be necessary.

The main thing is---you will need a good ground plane with at least two 1/4 wave radials and more is better.

Last edited:
The 102" whip will not work very well like you suggest installing it, without a suitable ground plane.

I'll take that a step further and say that it won't work at all without a ground plane. You can buy another one and install them both as a dipole (or just cut a piece of wire the correct length to do the same thing). You can get spacers that are the same length as the spring to bring the antenna into the correct frequency range.

Reactions: 1 person
First, that 102" is a 1/4 wave at about 27.5 Mhz. 108" is a 1/4 wave at about 26 Mhz. Neither will put you in the middle of the 40 channels without some adjustment. But, what a lot of people don't take into consideration is that the whip isn't the only length you have to work with. The height of the mount, and any spring added also has to be figured into that whip's length.
So how 'tall' is a typical 'ball-mount'? Something like 3", maybe? Add 3" to that 102" and you got 105" of antenna. That should put the thing at about 26.7 Mhz, still a bit low in frequency, so the antenna a bit long. Add that 3" to 108" to get 111", and you are way low, around 25 Mhz, so the thing is much too long.
How do you shorten a 102" whip? The best way of doing that is from the bottom, you don't really want to cut that 'static ball' off of the top. That ferrule at the bottom of a 102" whip is just silver soldered on, so un-solder it. Cut off the length that needs to come off and re-silver-solder the ferrule back on. Fairly simple, right? Yeah, right, till you get to the "cutting off" part, and as already said, a pair of 'dikes' just ain't gonna do it! Several ways of doing that, just pick your own 'poison' and have at it. You might also dig out the torch while you're at it, a soldering-gun ain't gonna do it either.
I understand that MFJ's 108" whip has a ferrule that's held on with set screws. The only thing I'd recommend with those is that after you are sure it's the right length, 'Locktite'em! (Me and set-screws ain't the best of friends, I either get'em too tight or not tight enough. 'Locktite' is my friend.)
So much for that. Now for the 'rest of the story'.
An SWR meter is not the best thingy to use to tune an antenna. It just can't do it without a lot of 'input' (thinking) by the operator. The best you can expect from a well tuned 102" whip, or any 1/4 wave antenna, is about 1.5:1 SWR, unless you use some sort of impedance matching thingy (a device at the feed point of that antenna, or the feed line). That isn't really hard to understand, but sometimes it's a real PITA to -accept-. There are always two parts to tuning an antenna. 1. Making it resonant. And 2. Matching input impedances. An SWR meter can't tell you squat about #1. If you do it right, an SWR meter can tell you something useful about #2. So you have a choice about doing that #1 thingy, throw lots of money at a meter that can tell you about resonance, or go the 'magic' number route. The real world 'magic' number for 1/4 wave antennas is '234', or if you like things in inches, '2808' (234 x 12 inches). That's the 'magic' number I used in the above, so doing the numbers from my example ain't gonna prove nothing. Try actually doing it, and you'll find that it's true though. In fact, it'll still come out a bit 'long', but that's better than too short.
There are NO 1/4 wave antennas that have an input impedance of 50 ohms without some type of impedance matching being done. The same holds true for any antenna, not just 1/4 waves. That's a fact 'Jack', get used to it.
What's that meter that will do all of that stuff? ;) Wanna guess?? 'Nuther one'a them 'fact jack's. Why doesn't everybody know that? Cuz it wasn't available 20 years ago, at least not at an affordable price.
Do it however you want to do it. But the above works, every time.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
so 40 feat up is not enough? also the static ball is missing is this going to efect it much. the little will that i use now works just don't talk far betwean 5 to 10 miles depending on conditions. grandpapy said 102 inch whip should work better than the little will. he also said the poll would work as the counter poise. I DONT KNOW THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING. only way to learn. if i have to use radials so be it. would like to make it work.

When I get home tonight I'll take a picture of a home made antenna I had done up using a 102" whip. I was just messing around one evening so it's an ugly antenna but does the job. Talked tons of DX on it and talk 35 miles daily on SSB to a friend.

Can't guarantee same results for you but at least it's a start.

Reactions: Slowmover
So you can just attach the whip to the pole and it will work...but you will do a lot better if you can create some radials. Also you'll need to check your SWR to make sure it's reasonable.

With a 102" stuck in the ground I was able to talk 35 miles and had a okay SWR. I added another antenna as a radial and it had an adjustable whip so it could adjust for SWR.

Later added some additional radials from some broken Elements I had lying around.

Silly project and didn't spend much time on it but it works amazingly well.

If I ever get some time I'll put up a real antenna again but after 4 months of positive results with this ugly duckling I'm tempted to just be lazy. Antenna has a flat match on 11 meters and under 1.7 on 10 meters,

Just don't ask me to talk into the North Pacific. No radial in that direction :)

whip%20in%20ground.JPG

whip.JPG

whip%202.jpg

homemade%20antenna%20pic.jpg

thanks for the input i think i can make this thing work now with the info obtained. thanks doc and cb magazine. i see it this way it has to work better than a little will sitting on top of the chimney. one last question should the radials be around the same langth as the whip?:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.