• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 Meter Yagi?

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I am wanting to build a 2 Meter Yagi and have been looking through Google at all the different articles about building different designs. To be honest, right now I'm on information overload. I saw a few that I liked and thought I might be able to handle building but I still don't know anything about them other than what a Reflector, Driven Element, and Director is. I've seen Gamma Matching is common among many of the designs. Could someone please point me in the right direction as far as an article or pdf that would explain Yagi Antennas and Construction in Layman's terms?

I will soon be posting my 2-meter, 4-element Yagi project. It is built from 4 pieces of aluminum tubing and a PVC pipe for the mast.

It features a "direct connect" design and tuning is accomplished by adjusting the length of the driven element - based on a slightly modified design from The Antenna Elmer

Beam Lengths

Performance is outstanding. I'll post some pictures of the build and SWR plots in a few days.

Peter,

I recommend that you start with something very simple and inexpensive and then try something more complicated if you like. You can make a very inexpensive, easy to build yagi with some wire or tubing and a wooden boom. The matching can also be done very simply folding the driven element over.

Here's one I made for 1.2Ghz, which is a lot more difficult than 2 meters:

moleculo-albums-homebrew-stuff-picture1089-homebrew-1-2-ghz-10-element-yagi.jpg

And here is the matching system on the driven element:

moleculo-albums-homebrew-stuff-picture1090-driven-element-1-2-ghz-antenna-coax-connections.jpg

I've attached a PDF that gives you the exact dimensions to build for 2 meters. If you using tubing instead of rods for the elements, it will make it have wider bandwidth. You can build this for under $20 depending on the materials you decide to use.

Attachments

• cheapyagi.pdf
    351.4 KB · Views: 208

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.