• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2995dx new power supply fan

panama

Apr 6, 2005
IOWA
home.mchsi.com
i just had ranger put the new upgraded power supply with the fans in my 2990dx ran bout $300 bucks with shipping(ouch) anyhow am i the only one that thinks this fan is to loud while just recieving i under stand it speeds up when i key but dam, maybe i just need to get used to it when i first hooked it up everybody was like dam what did you just hook up that thing sounds loud as hell nobody can hear the fans exept me so the radio is working very well , just that fan noise!!!!!!

It all depends on the Microphone you use and what you have your Mic Gain and other levels set at. I can tell you that a ASTATIC D104 or SADELTA microphone will be quite a bit more touchy than others so if the recieve folks are not hearing it on your transmit thats great you cant ask for anything more. As far as the noise you hear you will get used to itsome fans are louder than others and some just plain annoying. Where did you get that kit you are running?? I am having a RCI2990 redone and might as well do that to as an option if need be.

i doubt it this is inside the radio probably in the power suppy it is the new power suppy ranger puts in the new 2995 dx radio inside not out side 10-49ps igetting used to it allready im not knocking rangers power supply or work they done for me i just wasent ready for that fan noise?!

Older thread put maybe someone else can use this info

I recently got a pretty good deal on a 2995DX and am now using it as my main base.

Oh I definitely thought the internal power supply fan was too loud. Friggin' hurricane strength. Unbelievable - ridiculous - crazy ass too loud. Like somebody is operating some KW tube amp with a giant cooling fan right next to the mic. Totally unacceptable.

So I went inside. Not much trouble to get the top off the power supply. Confirmed the fan is a 12 volt type. Tied into the + lead (you can pick either) and added a panel mount 100 ohm potentiometer which I installed on the left rear corner of the rig. This slows the fan down to any setting I choose, slowed the fan down to a tolerable noise level (with the cover back on) and fan still moves plenty enough air to do the cooling job. Now no one can hear the fan through the mic which is a sensitive D104.

Do with any 12VDC fan for any device cooling job you have. Add a 100 ohm pot

For AC fans, go to hardware store ect... and get a Ceiling Fan Speed Controller and install per instructions on package. AC pots like this are also called rheostats.

Good luck ! - Loving the 2995DX Also replaced the yellowish incandescent meter lights with while LEDS. Really brightened the meters up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.