• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2sb817 upgrade? Dual final 959 needs a better regulator.

"Bigger is better" :D!?
advant8.jpg
Mobile AM only, modulation transformer shown for scale.
Hefty888.jpg
(compared to the smaller part simply mounted to the side of the chassis, this would seem to create less heat, IMHO)

Last edited:
Back in high school, I use to make larger heatsinks, on the horizontal mill by hand, to fit the Galaxy/RCI chassis for people who modded their rigs push every watt out the back. They looked good and worked well.

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Will side band still work on the 99v after the mod or will side band be useless?
That depends on what kind of "modification" and who performs the work.
I'm not sure what mod you are referring to.
If it is the RWOB mod, then I found this on google:
NPC-RC Modification for 6900xxx Type Boards

OK guys and gals a little studying needs to be done here but if you havent noticed the 6900xxx board found in say the galaxy 94hp and the 069610Z board of the Galaxy 949/959 are basically the same even part numbers are the same,, so I will do only one to save time……

On SSB radios it is necessary especially if the user uses SSB to run an alignment on the radio especially checking driver and final bias and use a pen or some whiteout to mark the VR’s cause once TP8 clip is gone you will only have the mark to go by…..

Usually SSB can still function, but if the radio gets "butchered for AM", in the process SSB can suffer, removed limiters in the audio chain can cause issues, and bias concerns come to mind, it all depends on what exactly is performed on the radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
BD250C, but I would do npc-rc and rwob mod and no problems with weak regulator transistor.
Mike
You have shown me the way sp5it.
I am going to try this with an irfz24n on a 959 in the near future. tempted to do it to my 2517 but I need to keep it a low drive machine for my old sweep tubes.

so an old post, to a common problem.

the first thing to do to any of these radios, especially if
somebody has been playing inside the transmitter circuit,
and touched by the "Golden Screwdriver"
is to check the bias current on the RF driver and final transistors.

if this bias is high, that series modulation transistor (Q54 on this DX-959)
will get warmer than normal. maybe hot.

I had one radio that was worked on (2970N3) and when I keyed up in
SSB mode, and current draw from the power supply was about 10 amps!!!!!!
No wonder it got hot, and did not work.

Adjust for bias current draw, not the voltage at the gate.

Checking the Bias for IDLE current first - don't try and presume VOLTAGE is the way to go.

So to set BIAS first will set the DRAW current for the IDLE and power, but too much IDLE Voltage (hence the focus on Current not Voltage) you'll begin to LOSE power in SSB mode and cause a runaway thermal heating problem in any mode that keeps the Gates too much ON - not enough OFF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.