• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

36.2 ohm PL259

I was going to ask where to buy these 36.2 ohm connectors from?? (n)(n)
What is the UHF Connector?
The UHF connector that is commonly used in amateur radio applications at frequencies below 450MHz is not a true 50 ohm constant impedance design as are N, BNC, SMA, TNC, etc. connectors (N & BNC are also available in 75 ohm versions). The center conductor is too large in diameter for the connector body size resulting in part of the connector appearing to be an impedance significantly less than 50 ohms.

http://www.w0qe.com/Technical_Topics/uhf_connector_compensation.html

I hope you guys enjoy this one

Is it logical to assume A 50 ohm cable with a 36.2 ohm PL 259 connector no longer has a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms?

A 50 ohm cable is still a 50 ohm cable but a UHF connector inserts a VERY slight, almost insignificant impedance bump into the SYSTEM. PL259's have never been known as constant impedance connectors. The fact that your link shows the bump in impedance results in an SWR or only 1.016:1 at 30 MHz and 1.054:1 at 100 MHz shows just how insignificant that bump is. Manufacturing variances in coax cable itself will create such impedance bumps and certainly ANY deformation of the cable from pinching or kinking will create at least that much of a bump. I use PL259 connectors up to 2m without issue and even have some inline on 70cm when inserting meters etc. |Not an issue in the real world.

A 50 ohm cable is still a 50 ohm cable but a UHF connector inserts a VERY slight, almost insignificant impedance bump into the SYSTEM. PL259's have never been known as constant impedance connectors. The fact that your link shows the bump in impedance results in an SWR or only 1.016:1 at 30 MHz and 1.054:1 at 100 MHz shows just how insignificant that bump is. Manufacturing variances in coax cable itself will create such impedance bumps and certainly ANY deformation of the cable from pinching or kinking will create at least that much of a bump. I use PL259 connectors up to 2m without issue and even have some inline on 70cm when inserting meters etc. |Not an issue in the real world.
That's my favorite answer so far

From a physics standpoint yes there is difference but in real world use it means nothing.
There's a difference between real world use for the end user and real-world ramifications on a Laboratory rf test bench when making adjustments. Yes you are correct the end user would never notice a difference.
Have you ever contemplated how to make those impedance bumps invisible to test equipment
Or how they might affect the accuracy of that test equipment while making adjustments?

Last edited:
Have you ever contemplated how to make those impedance bumps invisible to test equipment
Or how they might affect the accuracy of that test equipment while making adjustments?
Nope and don't care. I will never be doing that type of testing that would require accuracy of that type. I doubt that any radio repair would be concerned about that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road Squawker
Amphenol has been making 36.2 ohm UHF connectors since the 1930's.. available at any Ham Radio Outlet or Radio Shack

The sky is still blue. Better buy a dozen and go to the truck stop tech so he can test each of them. It's only way to be sure you're using perfectly matched connectors with your tuned jumpers. No one else will take the time or has the knowledge to do this for you.

Nope and don't care. I will never be doing that type of testing that would require accuracy of that type. I doubt that any radio repair would be concerned about that either.
So instead of going out and purchasing a 50 ohm dummy load I suppose we could build our own 45 ohm dummy load for our test bench and accomplish the same results tuning a radio?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated