• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5/8 wave coil

"Actually, the red/redish/pink color only works with the radiating portion of antennas, not with the feed line."

dont ya hate it when Doc get all technical !!!!!
;)

well seeing as all the advice I got here I thought you deserved to see a few pics, it's still a work in progress, but it is working very well,

Image071.jpg

Couldn't find any alluminium plate, so used some wood I had in the shed instead, and braced it to make the X section, I have now sourced some cheap alli plate online, so might change it for alli, but the good thing about using the wood is that the whole antenna is isolated from mast. Downside is that I had to use short jumper cables to connect the radials to each other and to the SO-239. Started with almost 23' of radiator, after finding the tapping point on the coil I had to shorten the radiator about 6 inches to get the resonant point where I wanted it (27.555MHz). The insulator is PVC, but it isn't anywhere strong enough, so I have a slight lean on the antenna which you can see in the next pic, I'm thinking a piece of fibreglass here would be better, looking around for a fibregalass fishing rod to cannabalise :)

Image070.jpg

This was put up at my house for testing/tuning, I have around 1MHz of bandwidth and a 1.1:1 swr where I want it, however, I tuned it using 10W of RF (all I have available at home), even on the 10W I managed to work a station on the beach in Ireland, maybe 75 to 100 miles away from my QTH. When I took it to the hilltop and used 100W, minimum swr was 1.3:1 at the resonant point. I think it's the way I've routed the feed up the inside of the coil, rather than the outside, and I'll be changing that soon. I have no real means of comparison to see how it is working, but I managed a contact into Kings Lynn in Norfolk, I just checked the distance on google maps and its over 150 miles away, something that I rarely managed when I was using the A99 out portable, so overall I'm pretty impressed. With some more tweaking I think I'll be very happy :)

Finally, here we are on the hilltop, no, that isn't my van, some inconsiderate sod parked behind me while I was putting up the antenna......

Image072.jpg

does anybody know the driving point impedance
of a 5/8 over a ground plane?

I assume the Z is something like (series equivalent)
50 ohm in series with
a capacitance, but who knows.

is there anything magical about 5 divided by 8?

does anybody know the driving point impedance
of a 5/8 over a ground plane?

I assume the Z is something like (series equivalent)
50 ohm in series with
a capacitance, but who knows.

is there anything magical about 5 divided by 8?

Usually about 150Ω for a 5/8, about 140Ω for a .64.

I use a formula for radiator length which always seems to work out to be spot on for bare aluminum tubing;
(11811x .9979÷freq in Mhz x.64 or .625) - 2.5" = .64/.625 (your choice)

The 2.5" I subtract is a typical average circumference for a radiator beginning around 1.25" base diameter and ending about 3/8" dia at the top.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.