• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6m Larcan Conversion

I started modifying amplifiers with a batch of capacitors received in November. There were three amplifiers that did not produce full power. They were essentially put aside. Over twenty modules are out there now.
The next batch of capacitors were not as successful. With all new capacitors the modules were coming off the bench with as little as 400w output. I went to a few partially completed modules that needed just a few extra parts to finish. Those worked great. Hmmm.
Several modules needed only 33pF caps. 1kW each.
One needed a single 100pF caps. 800W. After pulling all 100pF caps from that module, the original seven measured 105pF, and the new one was about 95pF. I dug through the parts bin and found another at 105pF. Installed it and easy 1kW output.
I have to confirm the values of other components and compare what is on a working module to the new parts being installed. It seems to be an issue with the capacitors. There really isn't anything else that has changed.

Oh boy that sounds like fun. And all over a few pF too but at 2m it means a lot.

BTW in case I don't hook up with you again before hand are you going to Halifax on Saturday for the flea market? I was going then decided not to then decided yeah hell I would but then last night they took Cathy's father into the hospital. He isn't good at all. She spent the night there and is still there. I worked last night and just got home an hour ago. I am heading there myself in a few minutes to take some things to her. Let me know about Halifax......if things improve I may go. The worst thing is, as a nurse, she sees and knows what's coming. Sometimes it's good to be blind to some things.

I'll try to visit the flea market on Saturday morning. Kids may groan with having to come along though...

My daughter is graduating nursing and mother is a retired nurse. Hard to hide my ailments from them.

Good luck with your father in law. We all get a turn in that position.

Capt kilowatt I hope all is okay and that your father in law is going to be okay. My sister is a nurse and it makes them hardened to some of the stuff that we as either the patient or patients relatives normally don't know. Like you said sometimes it's good to be in the blind not knowing. Makes it veer tough when it's your own family member, my niece, (sisters daughter), just got out of the hospital after getting a Mosquito bite and acquiring some form of encephalitis. She was in a coma for almost a week. And the doctors locally here had no clue what was wrong. It really sucked!! But she is well now and has no ill effects from it thank God!! Like I said, I hope all will be okay. God bless.

Capt kilowatt I hope all is okay and that your father in law is going to be okay. My sister is a nurse and it makes them hardened to some of the stuff that we as either the patient or patients relatives normally don't know. Like you said sometimes it's good to be in the blind not knowing. Makes it veer tough when it's your own family member, my niece, (sisters daughter), just got out of the hospital after getting a Mosquito bite and acquiring some form of encephalitis. She was in a coma for almost a week. And the doctors locally here had no clue what was wrong. It really sucked!! But she is well now and has no ill effects from it thank God!! Like I said, I hope all will be okay. God bless.

Well he got real good and went home, then real bad and back in hospital, and now getting better again. It's terminal and we know that but right now it looks like he needs better management of his meds. They were cut back for other reasons but it looks like since it was increased again things have gotten somewhat better. Either way he does not have a long time left. Sad part is he and my wife were estranged for 12 years or longer and just got back together.

Well he got real good and went home, then real bad and back in hospital, and now getting better again. It's terminal and we know that but right now it looks like he needs better management of his meds. They were cut back for other reasons but it looks like since it was increased again things have gotten somewhat better. Either way he does not have a long time left. Sad part is he and my wife were estranged for 12 years or longer and just got back together.
Ck hope all works for what is best for all. I was estranged from my father for years years till his passing.

Brendan Quest is using a 1kW Larcan amplifier modified for 144MHz.
Brendan Quest

43 element rope yagi pointed towards Ireland in hopes of making a 2-way contact across the Atlantic.

Hell I would be happy making a one-way on 2m across the Atlantic as long as I was the one being heard. (y) While that rope yagi looks impressive at first I do have to wonder about the choice of using single polarity like we discussed. Crossed and stacked 17B2's or M² 2MXP32's would have been a better choice I believe. More $$$ and more work but better overall.

Tell her to cherish and enjoy what time she can, my ex lost her father last year to cancer that hit out of nowhere man. Went in for a surgery came out and a couple weeks later was back in and never made it back out. Again I hope things do at least level out for a bit, for your wife's sake!! God bless and take care!

If I lived at the site and had time to build a dedicated antenna I'd be in full agreement. I think the rope yagi was easy to build, easy to install, and it seems to be working. There have been multiple reception reports in Europe. They have updates and many photos on Facebook. Search for Brendan Quest.

Hell I would be happy making a one-way on 2m across the Atlantic as long as I was the one being heard. (y) While that rope yagi looks impressive at first I do have to wonder about the choice of using single polarity like we discussed. Crossed and stacked 17B2's or M² 2MXP32's would have been a better choice I believe. More $$$ and more work but better overall.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?