• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

75 meter Hamstick Dipole

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I made a Hamstick Dipole for 75 meters. It works great and tunes real nice. I have it up in my attic antenna farm on a rotor and tripod. :D

Total cost of antenna-

2- 75m Workman mobile stick antennas-$27.90 ($5 a piece more than higher frequencies)
1- 3/8' dipole mount- 9.95

Total- $37.85

http://www.k1cra.com/catalog/category.aspx

Neat antenna for those with limited space.

Sonwatcher said:
Garth, I can go from 3.800 - 3.999 in the General band without exceeding 1:5. I have it resonant on 3.900. No tuner.

What kind of coax and length, are you running a matching section? Sounds like you got it hooked up right looking to do the same something cheap.

Around 30' of RG-58/u. The only tuning done is with the whip adjustment on both whips. It's noisier than my vertical groundplane but I can't tune the vertical that low nor can I put a wire up the length needed. So I just did what I could to be able to use that band. I made a contact with someone on the Ohio border a little while ago and they heard me fine. It was about 200 miles. It was the first attempt to transmit on it. It doesn't hear like the vertical . What I was doing was finding strong signals with the vertical, locating the op's qth and rotating the stick dipole in that direction. But other times the dipole picked up signals that I didn't need the vertical to find.

There is no way that you can get that kind of bandwidth out of 75m Hamsticks, without having tremendous losses. But hey, if you make contacts on it, any signal is better than none.

Rich

Well, all I can report is what the SWR reads. I talked on it quite a bit tonight.I was reading about the stick dipole and it stated that the rg-58/u was probably the best for the 80 meter frequency as it had better resistance down there than the larger coax. Eham had the discussion about signal loss on 80 meters (losses are higher at higher frequencies)and stated that RG-58-58x would result in very minimal loss. They said you don't want to run high power (exam. 1000w ). I'm not a tech geek about antennas but it works and that makes me happy.

Let me say this about that.
Any / all mobile 80 meter antennas are unbelievably inefficient. Something on the order of 'single digit' percentages (1 - 8% on the average). Same for most all bands till you get to about 20 meters, sort of, and the efficiency starts being half-way reasonable. It has to do with the 'size' of the antenna.
For instance. A 4 foot loaded CB antenna is about 0.50% of a full 1/4 wave length (rough estimate, too lazy to figure it exactly). I don't think it would be an unfair statement that a 4 foot mobile antenna just isn't gonna perform like a 9 foot one, right? Okay, an 11 foot 80 meter mobile antenna is something like 0.18 % of a full 80 meter 1/4 wave length (+/- 61 feet). I'm using a mobile an 80 meter mobile antenna length that's almost reasonable, sort of, and definitely not that of a Ham stick! So comparitavely, a very big 80 meter mobile antenna is almost like using a 2 foot CB antenna, as far as efficiency goes (actually less, but who'z counting). Huh, sounds about as 'tasty' as liver gello, doesn't it? Oh well. The 'catch' is that a very inefficient antenna will work better than no antenna, almost every time. Just don't expect setting records with it, sort of. A Ham stick is less efficient than that 11 foot thingy (Texas BugCatcher), but you don't find many attics that would allow turning a 22 foot antenna, you know?

No matter who says what about it, the losses are greater on lower frequencies than higher frequencies as far as the relative size of ~practical~ mobile antennas go. The exact opposite is true for coax, in general. But even at VHF RG-58 isn't ~that~ bad for shorter distances. Not as good as 'large' coax, but not that bad (shorter distances, remember!). Of course there's some loss, but most times it just isn't worth worrying about. RG-58 is certainly usable on HF as long as you stay somewhere around 100 - 150 feet or so, and the power level is half-way 'normal'.

And lastly. SWR is probably the absolute worst way of measuring efficiency possible. A dumby load has very nice SWR but is terrible as an antenna. But it's still better than no antenna at all. Think about it.

I'm sort of suprised that there's almost a Mhz of usable frequency range on 80 meters. Can't say it's impossible, but it is suprising. If it was my setup and I saw that, I really doubt if I'd change anything unless I could put it back exactly like it was! If it is an exception that just happens to work that well, don't mess with it!

SonWatcher, just out of curiosity, can you turn it?
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc. I realize it is a poor way to check things out. It's just the only way I have. It isn't like my vertical, wish it was ! There is some noise. I haven't attempted very long distance with it. I have accomplished around 200 miles+ with it using 100w. I got a PM from someone in the Quackshack last night that was on the same net as I and said he heard me. He is about 150 miles south while I was talking to someone 200 miles east. But I guarantee it isn't as efficient as a lot of antennas. I just posted this as an alternitive to those that don't have the ability to use a better antenna. I wish I had another way to check it's efficiency to better answer questions. I just try my best with what I have. Believe me it was tiring running up and down the attic steps tuning it ! LOL ! And yes I can turn it. It just keeps from hitting the rafters. :LOL: I tried it vertical but it was next to aluminum siding and didn't work well in that location. I also ran a ground line from the ground side of the antenna. It is about 30 ft. I don't have it on now but I did for awhile. I know I'm not much help as far as the technical side.

Sonwatcher,
Hey, the running up/down is good for your health!
About the efficiency and SWR thingy, I'm not poking at you, that's about the most anybody has to compare things with other than an 'S' meter. And there's very few people who can do any kind of 'accurate' efficiency measurements. Who'z got htat kind of equipment laying around?
If it works, it works. May not be the best thing around, but it sure beats 'nuthin.
- 'Doc

(If people knew what I had to do to gain all this weight, and get into the 'health' I'm in, they wouldn't harp about me being healthier! Not if they had to go through all that again.)

(If people knew what I had to do to gain all this weight, and get into the 'health' I'm in, they wouldn't harp about me being healthier! Not if they had to go through all that again.)

LOL !

Yeah I wish I had an analyzer. That would be a big help. But then again I wouldn't be getting all that excercise running back and forth ! :LOL:

By the way Doc, how far are you from Holdenville ? I have relatives there. My dad's side of the family i from OK,TX KS area. 11 kids kids in his family so I have a whole bunch of relatives out there. There's a forum member here who lives in Perryton, TX where my dad is from. His parents new my grandparents. Small world !

Holdenville? I'm blanking on distance, but something about like an hours drive, I think. It's west and a little north of here.
- 'Doc

(If you don't tell anyone you got relatives in Oklahoma, I won't either!)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.