• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

75 OHM COAX W/PL259

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
ANYONE know where to purchase 25 foot length of 75 ohm coax with pl259 on both ends.

TNX
DOCTOR 795

Actually I have been thinking about going to crimp type connectors. Not the cheap ones but the good quality types with the proper crimp tool. Commercial users and thousands of hobbyists use them with no issues whatsoever. They DID have a bad reputation many years ago but crimp tools and techniques have come a long way since then.

look to ebay, some amateur in Arkansas has adapters for sale, I am using them and no issues so far

what flavor 75ohm coax? if its RG-6 you can get a 500' spool for about $40 and the kit to use the compression F-connectors then just use the F-to PL-259 adapters, I have a couple antenna's ran like this and they work fine

Reactions: wavrider
OK guys. Where do you get these crimp connectors, I knew they were not good many years ago, but maybe they have come along a lot better.
DOCTOR/795

The new style should be silver teflon and the center pin hole should be open just like the typical solder type.

The old ones are easy to spot, they have a small pin hole opening that's useless.

Be sure to invest in the ratcheting type crimpers with dies for the coax type or types you use.

You can buy them here along with the crimpers.
http://qsradio.com/phone/shop-now.html#!/PL-259-UHF-Male/c/11543085/offset=0&sort=normal

The right tools gets the job done right.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Here is a good example of what to look for with Solder/crimp PL-259's

This below is what you want. You can see the center pin is large enough to push thru a tinned center conductor to be soldered.

con-6019_-_pl259uhf_male_solder_and_crimp_type_-_lmr400_rfc400_rg213_rg8u_1.jpg

This is the type you don't want. Notice the pin hole for the center conductor and this will not allow a tinned wire thru it. I argued about these types before because I believe they are a center crimp because how are you supposed to properly solder the center conductor?

pl259_195_1.jpg

Here is a good example of what to look for with Solder/crimp PL-259's

This below is what you want. You can see the center pin is large enough to push thru a tinned center conductor to be soldered.

con-6019_-_pl259uhf_male_solder_and_crimp_type_-_lmr400_rfc400_rg213_rg8u_1.jpg

This is the type you don't want. Notice the pin hole for the center conductor and this will not allow a tinned wire thru it. I argued about these types before because I believe they are a center crimp because how are you supposed to properly solder the center conductor?

pl259_195_1.jpg

That bottom image looks like it is for RG-58 with the single strand solid center conductor in which case it is the proper connector. You just crimp the tip or solder it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.