• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

756 Pro III vs. 7300 vs. ????

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I have an offer to buy my 756 pro 3 and I was wondering what it would take to replace it.
The 7600 and 7700 are over my budget of $2000CDN.

Is the 7300 as good as the 756?
the 7300 has some pretty wimpy PA transistors and the only thing I'd like about it is to be able to put the waterfall on a big monitor but what about audio quality?

Is it as good as the pro III?

What do you all think?

thanks

From my point of view.
7300 is small. I prefer big radios with lotsa knobs and buttons. Why? Because when I need to change something quickly I hate digging in 4th menu of 5th menu to do it.
7300 have only 1 antenna socket. Big disadvantage for me as for rx only antennas user. Can be modded to add rx antenna socket but...
Mike

Reactions: 357
... and not to mention the issue with the 7300 causing "hot switching" of amplifiers because of incorrect relay design.

I would tap the IF for the Pro III, buy a RSP-1, and use it with SDR Console 3, SDR Uno, or HDSDR for your panadapter. All of which are free programs. You can use Omni-Rig to tie it together so it sync's with the transceiver. The Pro III is still a really great rig, and I (like Mike) prefer a big base station rig as well.
http://vk2dag.com/Docs/IC-756Pro3 -Spectrum Scope SDR Mod.pdf

I have heard both transmit and receive are excellent on the 7300, but even with the SDR and DSP, I think you would be taking a step down.

Brett

I bought a Kenwood TS-590SG & an ICOM IC-7300 at same time. The Kenwood has a far superior receiver. I could not make out weak signal SSB that was clear on the Kenwood. The IC-7300 has such a noisy receiver I had to set the noise reduction on 4 to hear average signal strength SSB signals. Below the AM radio dial the IC-7300 is deaf. The Kenwood shines below the AM radio dial. The IC-7610 is good, but costs $3800.

I ran an 756 pro 2 for a couple of years and really liked it. I liked the performance, ergonomics, size and layout.
After I got a Flex I let the pro 2 go. Anyhow I've been wanting a smaller size HF rig as a backup that didn't require AC and also for trips. I picked up a 7300 a few weeks back on the $999 deal. So far I really like the 7300.

For what its worth if I owned a Pro3 I would keep it. If I didn't have it and was looking at new radios I would get the 7300 before I would buy a used pro3.

I never owned a FTDX3000. But per others it is a very quiet receiver & hears very well. Slightly less receiver performance per the specs vs a Kenwood TS-590SG, but I bet you would never hear that difference.

I have the FTdx3000 and love it. The receiver is great, in my opinion. The waterfall display is ok, but not as crisp and clear as the Icom displays. I am using the rsp-1 on the rx out port as a panadapter, and it works fantastic. Prices are very low for this rig now. It is a big radio, too!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.