• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A few questions...

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
Has anybody ever tried to do an in dash Galaxy 979 install? The dimensions are a little bigger than a cobra 25. I have a cobra 29 that does fit in the dash, so I'm not to worried about it fitting. I couldn't find any pics on the internet, so I was just wondering. Also, how easy/hard would it be to change the mic element in a RK56? Something like a ranger 158 or astatic element put inside the RK56 chassis. Pros/cons of in dash installs?

The mic element shouldn't be hard at all to replace as long as they are the same type and ohms. I.E., dynamic, or eletrec condensor, and as far as the ohms they should be the same, if one is 600 ohms, replace with one of the same value ohms.
As far as the in dash install, as long as your other radio fit, and the 979 is about the same dimensions or the same, you shouldn't have an issue. Just keep an eye on how hot the radio gets. Keep it stock or as close to stock as possible and not squeeze every watt you can out of it and it should work fine. JMO's. I have not installed a radio in dash, so I can't speak on how hot it will get. But heat is your enemy. Adding a small fan might not hurt. Again, JMHO. I like my radios to be cool at all times, but that is just me. But the 979 might need to be warm a bit to operate correctly, but not hot, that I do know. Not a big galaxy radio fan, unless it's for AM use mostly. Some will disagree, but to me they drift around some no matter what you do.
A microprocessor controlled radio would be more stable, especially on SSB. Something like the anytone at6666, or similar. Heard the magnum 1 isn't too bad of a radio, but haven't heard one myself. I like my 980 or optima mk3 personally. But we all have our own favorite radios. Best thing is to make sure you have the best antenna setup as possible. Again, JMHO. Have a good one. And be safe installing new radio. :)(y)(y)

Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of the RK56 and not their current quality. My 29 does fit width, but not length. That can be modified easier though, the dash cavity goes back and down to the floor. Just a few pieces of plastic need to go. Along with the CB is going a Kenwood single din FM/CD aftermarket radio. A fan is going to take some thinking on the hows and where's. I realize that a uniden may be better, I'm not a big fan of the radio's looks though. I'll think on it for the next week. This week I'm doing my first ever permanent antenna mount.

Just take your time with the antenna install. As far as radios go, there are so many out there to choose from, it's just about what you like. If it were me I'd skip all these radios and just get an HF radio like the kenwood 480hx or sat. But it's all a matter of what you want to accomplish and now deep your pockets are. JMHO.

Definitely an external speaker, good idea taking the covers off. Do you guys put anything on the antenna hole to prevent rust? I'm using a NMO mount, if that makes any difference.

All I did was lower the power on my 980 and turned the modulation up on AM, and removed the internal speaker. This has helped a bunch with heat issues. I use an external speaker 99.9% of the time anyway. So why have it in there if you aren't using it. Just some other options.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated