• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp for 955hp

TNT 600hd. I use a magnum 257hp that does almost 100 watts on ssb. I run a cooling fan all the time on the 257hp so no heat, and with a TNT 600hd I see around 600-750 watts on ssb. And it's clean. Always get good reports. They aren't made to be volted or anything but do work well if used properly.

I use the TNT 600hd as a base amp. In the mobile I run an optima mk3 and a magnaforce 350hd, antenna is a sirio turbo 5000 mag mount on top of the work van. I talk all over the world with the mobile setup and the base setup with the 257hp and TNT 600hd does well when needed which isn't very often.

How is your whip installed? Done any bonding etc? I only ask because your Stryker puts out 100W already and a 100W put into a good antenna install compared to a poor one could actually radiate a similar signal to 600W shoved into a poor installed antenna.

The difference between 100W and 600W may sound a lot but it isn't, its barely more than 1 S point to a DX station. To gain that S point requires some serious wiring, some serious grounding and some serious money spending. Any deficiency in your current antenna installation will become massively obvious the first time you key up as you find you can't get low SWR or the car electrics start doing weird stuff.

Given you're going to have to do the work to your antenna system, particularly the grounding and bonding, in order to be able to use the 600W amp anyway do it all first then see what it performs like before buying the amp. If all you've done is throw the antenna on the car you may be surprised just how well it does perform when installed properly and decide the amp isn't worth bothering with.

I've installed my antenna properly. With 100W on 10m if I can hear them I can work them and that's all over the world. Given my experience of being able to talk over base stations on 11m with just 4W mobile 100W is going to see you OK for local contacts too.

www.k0bg.com for everything you need to know.

Last edited:
I only have the TNT 600hd as I acquired it for a price I couldn't have bought a 2 pill for new. It's an older TNT 600hd per say, I believe it is one of the first ones blunt as my brother in law had it for a few years and he got it used as well. It's in mint condition and I didn't pay a bunch for it. I don't run it very often to honest as my magnum 257hp does close to 100 watts on ssb. But for that radio it would be a good amp and sound clean on ssb as mine has had no issues. I will say mine has toshiba 2879's in it and not DEI but that shouldn't matter as long as you aren't running the amp at higher voltage. And yes the antenna is definitely most important no doubt. Even though I run a mag mount I spent a lot of time making it the best I could! And it works well! Anyway good luck to you and god bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.