• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier???

service bros.

Feb 13, 2009
Hello Everyone, Im thinking about buying an Amplifier for my Cobra 29 NW Ltd. i also connected 2 Wilson Antennas to it. ive been seeing a couple of Amplifiers online. But since ived never bought one before what would be a good one to buy??? Maybe X-force, Fatboy, etc.?????? can anyone help

Can you explain your antenna set-up alittle and what vehicle is this on? Co-phased is usually not the best way to go unless you get the antennas 9 feet apart. A properly tuned Cobra wil work great with either a Fatboy or X-Force. If your antenna system is janked up though you are wasteing your time adding an amplifier to the mix.

"Co-phased is usually not the best way to go unless you get the antennas 9 feet apart."

a properly phased antenna system will produce excellent results with as little as one-eighth wave spacing.

"A properly tuned Cobra wil work great with either a Fatboy or X-Force."

they're class c amplifiers and are not capable of faithfully reproducing the original input signal.

"Co-phased is usually not the best way to go unless you get the antennas 9 feet apart."

a properly phased antenna system will produce excellent results with as little as one-eighth wave spacing.

"A properly tuned Cobra wil work great with either a Fatboy or X-Force."

they're class c amplifiers and are not capable of faithfully reproducing the original input signal.

I'm going to have to disagree right there...I run a Cobra 29 on a DAVE MADE 1x4 which is a Class C box and I will gladly key down with someone of similar power. Not only is the DAVE box louder, but my audio is crystal clear. Yes Class C amps can splatter, but there are a few ways to avoid that. First of all, buy a DAVE MADE, the box is built expertly, and secondly, make sure your install is clean. Get your SWR's FLAT, run a secondary battery, dont starve the amplifier, ground the second battery and the amplifier to the frame. You'll power the amp as it needs to be powered, and have loud clear audio. I also recommend a Cobra 29 stealth from Sparky's. that's a bad mamma-jamma and well worth the money. I run that radio with an RF Limited TRB2 into the Dave Made and I am quite satisfied.

What freecell said was that a class C amp is "not capable of faithfully reproducing the original input signal."

That statement is true of every amp operating AM or SSB modes. Your Davemade may sound clean to your ear, but that doesn't mean it's not producing way too much power on harmonic frequencies and also some distortion. You can't "hear" it...you have to put it on a scope and spec analyzer to see it. I take that back...you might be able to hear it if your operating on one of the harmonic frequencies.

ALL class C amps are like this, as are any transmitter also operating in this class (you won't find many of those). Some are worse than others. This is just power amplification fundamentals.

I'm going to have to disagree right there...I run a Cobra 29 on a DAVE MADE 1x4 which is a Class C box and I will gladly key down with someone of similar power. Not only is the DAVE box louder, but my audio is crystal clear. Yes Class C amps can splatter, but there are a few ways to avoid that. First of all, buy a DAVE MADE, the box is built expertly, and secondly, make sure your install is clean. Get your SWR's FLAT, run a secondary battery, dont starve the amplifier, ground the second battery and the amplifier to the frame. You'll power the amp as it needs to be powered, and have loud clear audio. I also recommend a Cobra 29 stealth from Sparky's. that's a bad mamma-jamma and well worth the money. I run that radio with an RF Limited TRB2 into the Dave Made and I am quite satisfied.
So what you're saying is that if someone with an identical amplifier and radio were to key with you that you could beat him solely because>?

What would be the point of this exercise?

You started out with a challenge and drifted into normal cb dribble.

Reactions: Road Squawker

Does the "my box is better" attitude come with the over price Davemade products or does it cost extra?

Also, so by adding a second battery and grounding everything, I can avoid splattering? Care to explain the RF theory behind that one?????? Class C is Class C is Class C. Dave/Joe-Made, X-Force, Fatboy, WorldWide, it doesn't matter, they ALL bleed. Class C is designed for numbers not cleanliness.

Does the "my box is better" attitude come with the over price Davemade products or does it cost extra?

Also, so by adding a second battery and grounding everything, I can avoid splattering? Care to explain the RF theory behind that one?????? Class C is Class C is Class C. Dave/Joe-Made, X-Force, Fatboy, WorldWide, it doesn't matter, they ALL bleed. Class C is designed for numbers not cleanliness.
It is easier to throw money at the issue and not common sense, sorry I meant common rf practices.

obviously this website has the same class of douchebags i can find on every other website.

Wow, apparently noone is allowed to disagree with him publicly anywhere on the internet.

My rant was not aimed at you Mack. I will climb back under my rock now.
Sorry for the misquote, I thought I was replying to 619.

This is the post I thought I was quoting.

619 chester cheeto said:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated