• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Antique For My Bench

nice meter.

hope you don't encounter too much rust and corrosion on the inside.
these old VTVM's are notorious for having a C battery left in them for 40 years LOL.

do a couple of searches online and you will find a couple of upgrades you can do.

be VERY careful when messing with the switches. you can clean them, but don't go poking around them as they are very easy to break and you won't find another without buying another meter.
LC

Reactions: KD8HMO
Well, it powers up and deflects like the manual says. I will open it up and clean the switches later. I will probably check all the resistors with a good meter and for sure replace the electrolytics.

View attachment 21612
Looks to be in great condition! It always amazes me how the old Heathkit stuff pops up from time to time, looking almost brand new.

Brett

Well, I checked it with a power supply and it reads 14.0v matching my good multimeter. I popped the cover and found a leaking C battery (expected). Found a tube not quite seated in it's socket and a few loose nuts. The electrolytics look original but in good shape. I will replace them too. All told, looks like a good deal.

This thing has a big 16ufd 150v electrolytic that I will replace. It also has a tubular, .047ufd 1600v cap. It doesn't appear to be electrolytic. Mouser has it in stock, so I wonder if I should just replace it too?

Last edited:
Well, the big electrolytic cap just arrived from Mouser today. On my next home time, (I drive a semi) I will start cleaning the vtvm up and replace that cap. The main switch is very stiff and is a bit loose, so I will have to clean and lube that. I hope I don't break the knob when I try to pull it off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated