• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Extension & Grounding

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey Everyone

Nice to be back and ********************************

But down to the question I have for some of the big power peeps.

Im looking to get a bumper mount for my 06 Buick Allure CXL and need advise on grounding it (or other methods better then the bumper)

And also looking for 3-5 foot antenna extensions to use either with a 102 whip or my Mr Coily to bring it past my roofline.

Now I've seen the keydown vehicles with massive super long antennas. (Someone please help answering the extension question and mounting question and super long keydown antenna question.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

a buddy of mine a few years ago made him a mount out of angle iron that he bolted to the underbody so it would stick out just past the factory bumper. he drilled the hole in it for the antenna stud and it worked good for what he wanted. he did not want to mount it on the painted body of his car. the peice of angle iron was about 3 foot long and it just stuck out past the rear bumper far enough to mount the antenna and spring he put on a steel whip.. he painted the angle iron the color of his car and was not too noticable when he took the antenna off. he had a quick disconnect on it so he could pull the antenna off when ever he wanted to. he ran a steel whip and a fiberglass whip on it ar different times. you can also make a angle to raise the antenna out of the same metal if you want to raise it up higher as you mentioned. this will also have you grounded to the body of the car.

hope this helps give you some ideas.

Now I've seen the keydown vehicles with massive super long antennas. (Someone please help answering the extension question and mounting question and super long keydown antenna question.

Thanks again

The real long antennas you see at the keydowns are 1/2 wavelength rather than the common 1/4 wave. Think of it more like an Antron 99 that can handle lots of power and is used in a mobile application.

Reactions: 1 person
Trailer hitch with a custom mount that would raise your whip up. That way you can remove it when needed. Running a braided ground strap to the mount would ensure good grounding.

Hmmm....Further info required

Love it when people chime in and say oops wrong post lol :love::oops: yourself. ...LMAO

No I actually did. I got out of a post, decided to reply to it and then clicked on the wrong one (this one). I scrolled down to the quick reply box without looking to make sure I was replying to the correct post. You can't delete it or I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone

Nice to be back and ********************************

But down to the question I have for some of the big power peeps.

Im looking to get a bumper mount for my 06 Buick Allure CXL and need advise on grounding it (or other methods better then the bumper)

It'll work like crap just like tow hitch mounts and those stupid brackets people have which stick out the bottom of the car. A rig with 100W using an antenna mounted on the roof would probably outperform a rig with 400W using a bumper mount.

If you want big power you have only one option for mounting and that is by a fixed permanent mount. And it wants to be as high as possible.

And also looking for 3-5 foot antenna extensions to use either with a 102 whip or my Mr Coily to bring it past my roofline.

Most of the current is in the bottom half of the antenna. You want NONE of the antenna masked by the vehicle. You also want as much metal directly under the antenna as possible as it is the metal directly under it, not alongside it that counts. Using a bumper mount you effectively have nothing under it.

www.k0bg.com Read the Antenna Efficiency, Antenna Mounting, Bonding and Grounds sections.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated