• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna for camping...

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
Ok i just dont know what to do.. I need to make an antenna i can through up in a tree max of 50' give or take... There is so manny opshions i just dont know what to make..
i just need it to work because when i get out there if i cant tune it by just trimming or tunning with the MFJ-949 i am SOL...
I have 100' of 300ohm
And 300' of 14 awg wire
I started on a G5RV jr. I just want to tune 40,20 and 10 meters

Last edited:

I use a Comet CHA-250BX multi-band vertical when camping. NO tuning necessary! Since it is a compromise style vertical antenna, any metal you can get under it, like your RV, will help it. Adding a few radials to the base can yield even better results.

It's not a spectacular performer, but is simple and easy to mount almost anywhere and it just works.

I use a Comet CHA-250BX multi-band vertical when camping. NO tuning necessary! Since it is a compromise style vertical antenna, any metal you can get under it, like your RV, will help it. Adding a few radials to the base can yield even better results.

It's not a spectacular performer, but is simple and easy to mount almost anywhere and it just works.

Thanks but i kind of need to make it this weekend
Ill keep this one in mined for next year

I have always either used the mobile antenna on my vehicle or simply thrown a piece of wire up into the trees as high as I could and end fed it with a tuner. Always worked some DX with it.

Half wave cut for 40 meter, fed with your twin lead. Little longer than your 50 feet, but should get the job done.
Rich

As stated earlier, 40 Metre dipole and a tuner will get you on the air effectively.
While my preferred antenna for camping is a dipole, I always don't have trees handy when camping, so I was using a combination of painters poles and a Channel master push up pole.
I'm currently using either a Alpha Antenna ProMaster Snr or a Buddipole. I'm looking to drop some weight from the Buddipole and may try a EzMilitary from Alpha.

Why couldn't you? If you have a tuner it will work just fine. Always better to be too long than too short.

I was reading that the input inpedince was way to high on even multiples...

Ok well i can change up the g5rv jr and make it a 40 meter dipole.. Can allso use it as a randome wire by twisting the ends togather and feed it right in to the tunner...
I all so have some randome wire i can try

I am allso working on a 40 meter 1/4 wave vertcail made from conduit but that is a work in progress..

Last edited:
I was not able to tune the random wire antenna to anywhere but 40 & 10 meters it was 33'. I was running three 50' ground wires in a V with one up the middle.
The j5rv jr did tune on 10,12,17,20,40,&80 with the internal tuner of the Kenwood TS-450s
I made contacts on 10,17,and 40
Then my wife moved the radio she busted the RF Power knob off and it was game over man i was getting no RF out.
Time for a parts radio now :/

Last edited:
end fed --- 30-55' wire with a 9:1 unun-balun then coax to your tuner and work 80-6m, get the wire up in the tree and be on the air

I worked a portable set up at a scout camp. He was running a coax fed 40 meter dipole, fed with coax. He was making good contacts all the way up to 10 meter. He had made some contacts on 20 meter. All with the TS2000's internal tuner no less.
Rich

I was not able to tune the random wire antenna to anywhere but 40 & 10 meters it was 33'. I was running three 50' ground wires in a V with one up the middle.
The j5rv jr did tune on 10,12,17,20,40,&80 with the internal tuner of the Kenwood TS-450s
I made contacts on 10,17,and 40
Then my wife moved the radio she busted the RF Power knob off and it was game over man i was getting no RF out.
Time for a parts radio now :/

Bummer on breaking the power knob. If it makes you feel any better, my smart phone smacked my TM-V71A in the face and cracked it. :(

I probably would have leaned towards the 40 meter dipole fed with twin lead. They are supposed to work pretty darned good multi-band.

Brett

Reactions: jp
When i got the 51' antenna up i had way more room then i though i had so a full length 40 meter will go up next year..

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.