• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna height vs skip angles

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Found an interesting read while looking up 'Maximum Usable Frequencies". That is a term used by Hams to determine just what freq's are possibly 'open' for DXing under the given propagation due to solar activity. But so does the 'Maximum Usable Angle'. The CBer using the 11m band can also benefit from this info.

We often hear the term 'angle of radiation' from the kind of antennas we use and choose to run with, such as a 5/8 or 1/2 wave antenna. Dipole or Yagi - etc. This chart can be helpful in seeing just how that translates to the real world, in terms of just what angle you might be getting now and what you may want to improve. Height above ground changes this angle of radiation, so does the type of antenna you use. The lowest angle is best for the best long path DXing, and vice versa. That is, if you are interested in long path skip/DXing.

For those new to these concepts, some info and help if you want to ask questions here.

Here is a quote from the Ken Larson/KJ6RZ page:
Source page:
Maximum Usable Angle

" . . . We are all relatively familiar with the term maximum usable frequency since it often appears as a question on amateur radio license exams. Maximum usable angle is the other half of the maximum usable frequency equation.

Maximum usable frequency is important for determining the best HF frequency to use in communicating between two locations, for example between Los Angles and Denver. The maximum usable frequency depends in part on the distance between to two locations. Thus the maximum usable frequency for communicating between Los Angles and San Diego will be different from that to communicate between Los Angles and Denver. In the past, maximum usable frequency was very important to professional communicators who were interested in operating full time HF communication circuits between specific locations, for example from Guam to North West Cape Australia. Today commercial HF circuits are probably less important than in the past because of the wide availability of communication satellites. Maximum usable frequency is still important to amateur radio operators interested in scheduling contacts with distant friends, communicating with a specific country, and in operating regional ARES/RACES HF emergency communication circuits.

For general amateur radio work, however, maximum usable angle is probably more important than maximum usable frequency. Maximum usable angle focuses on band availability, the types of antennas needed to take advantage of band openings, and the skip distances that can be expected . . . "

The main lobe elevation angle depends on the configuration of the transmitting antenna. Vertical antennas have low elevation angles while horizontal dipoles and yagi antennas have low to high elevation angles depending on their height (measured in wavelengths) above ground, as shown in the table below. The numbers in parentheses are the angles for the -3db points on the antenna's main lobe.

Antennas Elevation Angle in Degrees

Vertical

1/4 wavelength long 28 (15 - 40)
3/8 wavelength long 23 (12 - 35)
1/2 wavelength long 18 (09 - 25)
5/8 wavelength long 12 (07 - 18)

Hortizontal Dipole
1/8 wavelength long above ground 90 (55 for lower 3db point)
1/4 wavelength long above ground 60 (38 - 82)
1/2 wavelength long above ground 30 (18 - 40)
3/4 wavelength long above ground 21 (14 - 28)
One wavelength long above ground 17 (09 - 19)

Hortizontal Yagi
1/4 wavelength long above ground 43 (32 - 54)
1/2 wavelength long above ground 30 (18 - 38)
3/4 wavelength long above ground 21 (13 - 28)
One wavelength long above ground 17 (09 - 18)

maxusefig1.gif

Last edited:

Having the lowest take-off angle is great when wanting to work halfway around the world, or close to it, but there are times when having a really low angle is not desired such as when the band is open to an area a few states away. That is when having a higher take-off angle is better as it actually lays down a stronger signal into the target area than a low angle.

More good reads.

http://radio.n0gw.net/radio12.pdf

I think that if you 'mix' both of those papers and solve for the median values, that worrying excessively about the lowest TOA is a waste of good worry. Sure, it's nice to have a low TOA, but it's not always the 'best' that there is for existing conditions. There are just too many variables for an absolute 'standard'. It's always going to depends on the existing variables for each and every situation/location. The 'best' anyone can hope for is making notes about your particular antenna set up over a fairly long period of time. Those notes should also make note of propagation conditions, time of year and anything else you can think of that might affect things. Keeping those records on a computer's data base could yield a fair guess for possible results for the existing conditions at any particular time. If it doesn't, then there's something you're missing in those records. (It's the 'little things' that get'cha dang near every time! Right?)
I don't know about you, but I'm not going to live long enough to compile a comprehensive data base like that. Besides, I'm too lazy. I figure the best I can do is to do what I can manage and then just try the band(s) and see what happens. Hmm. Sounds a lot like what people do now, don't it??
- 'Doc

http://www.eham.net/articles/23758

Good read, may open some eyes as to why the 1/4 wl vert sometimes outperforms the 5/8 wl vert and vice versa.

Also as to why some low mounted verticals seem to work better than one's mounted 50' up a tower in some situations.

Reactions: 1 person
nice read.

i have always felt my 3 element horizontal dipole gave me better results locally and that my vertical allowed me to reach longer dx...

This thread may have answered a question I had. For a long time, this guy has been raising and lowering his antenna tower. It is a telescopic type crank up, that folds over when all of the way down. He cranks it up for a few days, then lowers it for a day or two. He is a Ham, and I don't know him, but I bet he is changing the angle.

This thread may have answered a question I had. For a long time, this guy has been raising and lowering his antenna tower. It is a telescopic type crank up, that folds over when all of the way down. He cranks it up for a few days, then lowers it for a day or two. He is a Ham, and I don't know him, but I bet he is changing the angle.

If he has a multi band yagi on top of that tower he may be optimizing height depending on what band he is working.

Yes those with the ability to change heights on their antenna know that different parts of the DX world signals arrive at different angles. That is why many contest stations have a few yagis at different heights so they can increase their potential for contacts.

Good food for thought. I remember reading the N0GW paper a while back. I think once I finally get my install finished I'll play around with varying the height of my beam and see what kind of results I get. At least the N0GW paper gives me a reference point and I'll have to try and figure a way to guestimate actual height of my beam. It would have been nice to have afforded the motorized version of my tower but that didn't make it into the budget. I guess I'll take a totally unscientific approach to this and just play around with it. Running outside to crank up or down a tower when the band changes will take its toll. It will however provide some insight and fun to chasing some DX.

Wayne C.

It is usually done to reduce wind loading on the tower when not in use and to make a smaller target for lightning. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with trying to change the angle of radiation. Also those crank up towers are not as rigid as a regular freestanding tower and retracting them in case of high winds is a good idea.

It is usually done to reduce wind loading on the tower when not in use and to make a smaller target for lightning. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with trying to change the angle of radiation. Also those crank up towers are not as rigid as a regular freestanding tower and retracting them in case of high winds is a good idea.

That may be it. Two things we get, are tropical storms, and Tampa is the lightning capitol of the country.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.