• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna help

Jay420

Dec 12, 2016
OK cut to the chase I live in a 3 floor town house I'm planning on using a galaxy base ssb radio in garage but if I mount my a99 out my 3rd floor window and mount a j mount to sill the bottom of a99 won't be over roof top but the top will. So what I'm asking is this going to be a problem with swr and tvi or should I just put a 15 ft mast in my backyard on my fence and run it that way but would only be 15 ft from house..
Sorry for the ramble but very confused on what I should do.
Screenshot_20161211-210936.png
FB_IMG_1481508497635.jpg

I had one mounted in a tree and it worked fine with no swr issues. Branches were all around it and it was mounted to the tree trunk. I would tend to go with 3rd floor height vs. the 15 feet off the ground. You may just have to try it and see.

Brett

It's very likely to cause RFI in the house mounted low and next to the house. If / when that happens, the SWR issue will be the least of your concerns if the wife gets interference while watching the Hallmark channel...

I have had 2 antennas mounted to the side of my house onto the chimney, a Sirio tornado and the vector 4000. I did experience some issues with the Tornado as it was only about 24ft to the base which only put it above my house a little over 10ft with the chimney it was less than that. Anyhow it wasn't until I got the base of the tornado to near 30ft off the ground that it made things better. No complaints from the neighbors after that. And yes they were having issues before the move. Now the Vector 4000 didn't give me any issues at all. But I did mount it at about 26-27ft off the ground. And I did use ferrite chokes on both antennas at the feedpoint as well. Needless to say, it depends on the antenna IMO, and yes placement if very important. What might not affect anything in your house like I was with me, in which case none of my electronics had been affected, my neighbors got a bit sore at me after a while of hearing me call CQ through their computer speakers LOL!! Also I did add a Low Pass Filter when I used the Sirio Tornado, but found no need for it with the vector 4000. Radio being used was an Icom 746.
Try both areas if possible. You might get lucky and not bother anyone, but also check with the neighbors as welol especially if you are friends with any of them. Just the house or houses closest to the antenna. These are just my own experiences and yours may totally differ.
If you could get the antenna up to about 20ft or more from the top of the roof it might work much better, the antenna that is, and not cause any issues with anyone. But I'll have to agree with the others about having it only 15ft off the ground. It will most likely cause some issues at that height. But ya never know until you try. Also the use of a radio that transmits a clean signal will be of benefit for sure. Clean in equals clean out and vise versa. Hope you get it setup and working properly. And be safe in the process. Take your time and have as much help as possible. Good day.

Reactions: Jay420
You have neighbors close by?? If not you might be okay. Also remember your antenna is an omnidirectional antenna and will spread a signal around the area you've placed it at. 30ft might be far enough away though. Best way to find out like someone else said, is to just try it and see. Also keep in mind how you route your coax. May want to place it in some PVC pipe just to keep it from getting stepped on and such. Not sure what type of coax you have, but you could look into some direct burial LMR400, made by several good companies. Andrew, Commscope, Times Microwave, Belden, Jefa Tech, and many more. Anyhow. I'll let the antenna gurus take if from here. Just be safe installing it. And take your time putting it together and such. It will be well worth it in the end. Have a good one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.