1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Antron 99 top section

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by dxing440, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dxing440

dxing440 Active Member

A friend gave me an antron 99 bottom and mid section. Can a 6`or 8`francis whip or firestickor even a 102 steel whip be used? Or would it be better to find a top section?

2. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin Staff Member

I know that Firestick Make`s a top section for the A-99.

Fire-Up 99 Antenna

I have never used one, but I do not see why it would not work.

Jeff

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

If you can find out what the length of that top section is, and replace it with something of the same length, it should work. If you replace that top section with a wound whip then it will probably be too long, the matching rings probably won't be able to 'match' the antenna.
    - 'Doc

4. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

I've run an A99 with a steel whip and also with a Francis Amazer. Both worked very well. I thought that the steel whip was a tad better but not by much. No experience with the Firestick.

5. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

the fire up a99 top section would work great. or any other 5-6 feet long fiberglass
    top.

6. Marconi

Marconi Supporting Member

I think most of the antennas you mention are 11 meter resonant antennas, and the tip element on the A99 is not resonant at 27 mhz, so the answer is no.

However, the bandwidth of this antenna is so wide you'd probably never notice with such an addition, excepting maybe that the antenna would then show to be lower in resonance at the best SWR...if you really checked it out.

The replacement tip Fire-Up 99 Antenna note by Jeff, claims to make the A99 a 5/8 wave antenna, which IMO is CBBS, but it seems to work according to reports. You will note in the link that this element is not resonant.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. since the wire inside the sections is straight , could a 102 cut to the same length be used ? someone found a 99 in their stuff and gave it to me . the top section measures 69 1/2 inches from the top of the element to the bottom where it sits on the rest of the antenna (not including threads) .

8. Marconi

Marconi Supporting Member

The top element on my A99 is 72.25". I wonder why the difference BM?

Does your tip elements have a rubber cap with Antron printed on them?

9. it has a rubber cap on the tip of the top section . the cap looks like it used to be yellow , but it is pretty much black now , the rest of the antenna is white and metallic . it was given to me and i haven't tried it . i put it together and leaned it against the deck rail and it just looked so dinky next to my HB that i didn't bother connecting coax to it . i'll hook it up at some point just for giggles at some point though .

10. hookedon6

hookedon6 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

sounds like someone cut some off to move it higher to the freeband area.

I cut 8 inches off mine and it is 1:1 on 28.400

11. dave69

dave69 Member

i used a standard 102" fiberglass whip and cut the top off so the overall size was a match to the original (which was damaged by the way hence the reason for using the 102")and the swr was 100% flat match without having to touch the tuning rings!!

1 person likes this.
  12. HomerBB

HomerBB Well-Known Member

I've done the same with the 102" SS whip. Cut it to the 72.25" length and it will work just fine.

13. that could very well be . i'd suggest trying the 72 1/4 inch measurement marconi and homer suggested .

14. HomerBB

HomerBB Well-Known Member

Cut it longer, and trim it down just like a mobile install is done. Gives you a lirttle more room for error.

1 person likes this.
  15. hookedon6

hookedon6 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

yeah, thattl make it mobettah:p