• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antron 99 top section

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
A friend gave me an antron 99 bottom and mid section. Can a 6`or 8`francis whip or firestickor even a 102 steel whip be used? Or would it be better to find a top section?

If you can find out what the length of that top section is, and replace it with something of the same length, it should work. If you replace that top section with a wound whip then it will probably be too long, the matching rings probably won't be able to 'match' the antenna.
- 'Doc

A friend gave me an antron 99 bottom and mid section. Can a 6`or 8`francis whip or firestickor even a 102 steel whip be used? Or would it be better to find a top section?

I think most of the antennas you mention are 11 meter resonant antennas, and the tip element on the A99 is not resonant at 27 mhz, so the answer is no.

However, the bandwidth of this antenna is so wide you'd probably never notice with such an addition, excepting maybe that the antenna would then show to be lower in resonance at the best SWR...if you really checked it out.

The replacement tip Fire-Up 99 Antenna note by Jeff, claims to make the A99 a 5/8 wave antenna, which IMO is CBBS, but it seems to work according to reports. You will note in the link that this element is not resonant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
since the wire inside the sections is straight , could a 102 cut to the same length be used ? someone found a 99 in their stuff and gave it to me . the top section measures 69 1/2 inches from the top of the element to the bottom where it sits on the rest of the antenna (not including threads) .

since the wire inside the sections is straight , could a 102 cut to the same length be used ? someone found a 99 in their stuff and gave it to me . the top section measures 69 1/2 inches from the top of the element to the bottom where it sits on the rest of the antenna (not including threads) .

The top element on my A99 is 72.25". I wonder why the difference BM?

Does your tip elements have a rubber cap with Antron printed on them?

it has a rubber cap on the tip of the top section . the cap looks like it used to be yellow , but it is pretty much black now , the rest of the antenna is white and metallic . it was given to me and i haven't tried it . i put it together and leaned it against the deck rail and it just looked so dinky next to my HB that i didn't bother connecting coax to it . i'll hook it up at some point just for giggles at some point though .

The top element on my A99 is 72.25". I wonder why the difference BM?

Does your tip elements have a rubber cap with Antron printed on them?

sounds like someone cut some off to move it higher to the freeband area.

I cut 8 inches off mine and it is 1:1 on 28.400

i used a standard 102" fiberglass whip and cut the top off so the overall size was a match to the original (which was damaged by the way hence the reason for using the 102")and the swr was 100% flat match without having to touch the tuning rings!!

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated