• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any suggestions for a small Amp for Magnum S-9

Ciarán

Aug 3, 2009
:unsure:Any help would be much appreciated. Would like to run 100W on AM/FM, 200W on SSB. This would be a mobile set up. Thanx in anticipation,
Ciarán

no amp that only puts out a hundred watts is going to be able to take the output of the S9 without some serious modifications.

more than that, there's no point in stepping up to only that much wattage.

to increase your signal on someone else's receive meter by 1 S unit; you will have to increase your output by 4x.

that means if you are deadkeying 10 watts and swinging to 50 watts (about the output of the S9), and hitting someone's receiver at an S-5 swinging to an S-6; you will have to deadkey 40 watts and swing to 200 watts to hit them with an S-6 swinging to an S-7.

thats just the way our physical universe works.

now, stepping up to an amp like the Texas Star DX500 will give you about a 100 watt deadkey swinging to about 450-500 watts, and it will handle the output of the S9.

still not quite 2 S units increase from just the barefoot S9, but hey, 2 S units is still pretty good.

after that, it gets very expensive to get those next 2 S units as im sure you can see.

can you say 1600 watt deadkey swinging to 8000 watts?

hope this helps,
LC

Just about any 2 pill amp will work, Texas Star would be a good choice for what you want. Works good on both AM and SSB.

couldnt have said it any better than loosecannon did .
a TNT 600 or 1500 could be something you may want to consider . but please dont put a class C box behind a S-9 .

Amp for S-9

Thnx guys, really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Some food for thought there.

Go raibh maith agaibh (thank you)

Ciarán

can you say 1600 watt deadkey swinging to 8000 watts?

Hell yeah!! I wish my setup did that. And bootymonster, I love your outlook on class C boxes, lol. I agree, though. As everyone else, I too want power but, give me filters, filters, filters! Class AB1 is the way to go!

As everyone else, I too want power but, give me filters, filters, filters! Class AB1 is the way to go!

Remember, AB1 describes the bias of the transistors, not the output filtering of the amp. Most CB AB biased amps have little or no filtering...although there are some out there. You can always add an external filter, though.

Oh, I thought AB and AB1 had better filtering than C boxes? And in most cases, I thought class C had no filtering at all.

filtering is something that helps keep the amps harmonics from bleeding into electronic appliances . they (for cb use) typically kick in about 50MHz . filters do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for bleedover on other cb channels . they are typically lowpass filters and only attenuate frequencys from a certian point and beyond . a filter should never affect the recieved transmission of a station either positively or negatively since its effect should be outside of the TX and RX of the band being use . harmonics can definately be caused and increased by overdriving amps or a overmodulated signal .
Filter Information and Design Software

texas stars are not filterd , just AB biased .
my palomar 225 is AB biased and filtered as are the cobra 450/500 and some messenger amps .
Classes of Amplifier Operation

hey jack , if used on a base setup , whats the smallest contious ammount of amps a power supply should have if used with the 225 ?

thanks , i was thinking 25 . but i know the bigger the better because it'll runn easier/cooler and should last longer .

i love my lil pally duce and a quarter . :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.