• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody Know How A Talkback Speaker Works?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
I've never had one but I was just thinking that is should be easy to make any external speaker into a talkback speaker rather than going inside the radio to add talkback...which isn't that hard but I'd like to convert external speakers too.

Anyone know what components are added to a speaker? Is it adding like a 500 ohm pot across the leads?

If no one here knows I might play around with one of mine and will post back what I come up with.

For Cobra/Uniden, put a 100 ohm resistor across the PA/ext. spkr grounds.

Galaxy might be the same.

Hey 74,

Yes I'm aware but looking to make talkback for EXTERNAL speakers.

For inside radio you can use a 100 ohm but may have to play with the value up or down to get the level you desire.

Just as easy inside radio to make the talkback a variable. Connect wires to the middle tab and 1 side tab of a 500 ohm panel mount pot. Connect 1 wire to External Speaker ground and other wire to Chassis Ground like a nearby screw holding the circuit board down to the chassis. This will give you variable talkback which adjusts from full-loud all the way down to OFF.

Drill hole in rear of radio and install the panel mount pot - add a knob. Off ya go mate!

All you need to do is solder the resistor onto the ground of two male plugs and insert the one wired to the speaker into the ext spkr jack and the other into PA.

I have one like this with a female jack as well so it can be used with any speaker.

My apologies. I thought the question had already been answered.

No need for an apology but
smiliew.gif
has not shared which radio he plans to use this on.

I dunno about variable, but the internal TB is the same as an external. Only difference is that the resistor is connected to 1/8" jacks. With a stock mic, use a 100 ohm, a NC like a Turner, 68 ohm.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?