1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Astatic 636L vs. stock Cobra Mic.

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Steve H, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Steve H

Steve H Member

I listened to myself talking on my Cobra 129 ltd with the stock mic. compared to the Astatic mic. I used a tape recorder, sitting next to a walkie-talkie at home while I drove around.

There is a noticeable difference. The stock Cobra mic. sounded loud and overmodulated, while the aftermarket Astatic was clear. I'm actually enjoying listening to the difference over and over.

I guess there is something to be said for good microphones. I'll keep the stock Cobra mic. for a spare, but it just doesn't compare to the Astatic.

2. TonyV225

TonyV225 Supporting Member

Just remember each radio is different just keep that in mind ;)

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Active Member

If you liked the Astatic 636L...You'll love the Ranger SRA 198 Noise Canceling Mic! There about the same price range as the 636, and cheaper than a RK 56...

The first batch of Ranger SRA 198's that came out back first of the year were horrible to say the least. But after numerous complaints to Ranger about the Mic's, Ranger went in and did some modifications like adding a resister and Cap to the Mic element, and the second run of the SRA 198's are great.

Nice heavy Mic that feels like it should cost a small fortune, but cost around what a 636 will run you...

4. Steve H

Steve H Member

I'll keep that in mind, jessejamesdallas. But I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to mess with success. This Astatic sure does sound good...but I have to admit it feels/looks a little plain. It's not a power mic, so it's not heavy.

5. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Active Member

No, their not a Power Mic. And neither is the SRA 198. One thing that makes the Ranger Mic feel better to handle is it has weights inside that gives it that feel of the older Mics that were built back in the 70's.

And if you take the back off and look at the element on the SRA 198's theres allot more to it than what is on the 636's and Road Kings. They also look allot different than what your use to seeing...

Ranger SRA-198 Noise Cancelling Microphone Review