• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-3R MKII Review - 2m/440Mhz Mini HT

Does the BAOFENG UV-5R come with a dual band antenna? the spec's say it does, but the package contents lists the antenna as 1 x Antenna 400-480Mhz

Originally Posted by WA6MHZ
Just programmed my UV-3R+PLUS for the 222 band!!! Yes, with a simple software mod, the radio now covers 222 too and transmits full power there.
But I wasn't able to key up any repeaters as the antenna is for 2M and 450 only. I gotta score a TRIBAND rubberduck antenna for it now!

Mole - have you tried to get the 220mHz band on your Baofeng+3?
That would only be uber-cool if you can repeat what he did!

Join the UV-3R and UV-5R Yahoo user groups.

There are discussions on this topic. I wouldn't expect much performance or efficiency on 220.

The gentleman's claims of full power output sounds dubious.

Mole - have you tried to get the 220mHz band on your Baofeng+3?
That would only be uber-cool if you can repeat what he did!

I'll try it on my radio tonight and report back after testing power output into a dummy load.

I performed the 220Mhz mod today. It didn't matter which way I did it, I got no power output on 220. The radio did transmit, but didn't have any meaningful wattage.

I wouldn't expect much performance or efficiency on 220.

The gentleman's claims of full power output sounds dubious.

I've summed up some of the info from the Yahoo Group - although there is still a lot of back and forth. You can click the links to see the whole debate, but I think one guy summed it up best: "So it WORKS on 222, KINDA!"

Brick O'Lore: Baofeng UV-3R: Expanded Frequencies 222 MHz

The post also includes a link to some software that will modify your .ini file for you.

Any new tech should love this as a viable option.
Low cost and very small.
If the dog should eat it; then you can't cry as hard as you would if it ate a Yaesu!

2 watts and a repeater = new Ham that got on 2m for a lot less money than I did.
What will HRO do now?!?

It's my first radio. I have since learned you do get what you pay for with this radio.... The covers for the cable connectors keep coming off, I ended up loosing mine at the dairy festival. In Georgia, my landyard pulled apart (very cheap lanyard. I got a rope type lanyard and connected to the end connector of the original one and it's a lot better! 2 Watts is very limited, and on top of that, I noticed on field day, if the battery gets close to 1/2 mark, I can't hit the repeater and the voltage drops. Keep a full charge and your fine.... Also, built a ground plane antenna for it using a 20 inch stinger and 4 20 inch radials. Makes a HUGE difference! Everyone says it puts me out there a lot better! Nice radio for a first time ham, but soon after you get the bug to go with something that has a LOT MORE WATTS ;-) We're talking HF range....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated