• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5r VHF/UHF HT Review

This thing has some crazy battery life. The color changing display and battery life alone, make it worthwhile.

I am able to write to the radio, but cannot read from it.

I just have to save the .dat file and edit it to rewrite any changes. No big deal.

With a finger poised on the 'buy' button . . .

Have you tried to TX it on FRS/GMRS?
How much was the programming cable - as m42 said - it had to be purchased separately?
Is the built in mic adequate; or does it TX better with an external mic?

For starters . . .

I have FRS/GMRS programmed, but have no reports yet. The audio on my unit has been receiving good comments.

Different sellers are shipping with a range of accessories, but mine did not have cable or software. I would recommend buying from the dude in hawaii when he gets them in stock.

I think this rig will eventually evolve into a jewel later on down the road.

Alpha Tags

For those asking for confirmation on the alpha tags... screen shot of the software and the result on the UV-5R after uploading...

Brick O'Lore: Baofeng UV-5R: Alphatags

uv-5r_alphatags.jpg

Works for me!

Reactions: 5 people
What kind of antenna connector is on it? SMA? If so; it is male or female? Anyone use a Diamond SRH77CA antenna on it? Or another brand? Results?

Does the 409 shop have the programming cable for the 5R? Or does another cable do the same job? part number?

Last edited:
What kind of antenna connector is on it? SMA? If so; it is male or female? Anyone use a Diamond SRH77CA antenna on it? Or another brand? Results?

Does the 409 shop have the programming cable for the 5R? Or does another cable do the same job? part number?

It has the male SMA connector on the radio just like the Wouxun. The stock antenna is pretty short, so just about anything will work better.

The programming cable is the same as the Wouxun. Since I already had one, I didn't check 409, but I'm sure they have it.

Reactions: 1 person
I replaced my antenna with a Comet SMA24 dual band antenna, I use a lil Rat Shack SMA adapter. It works well and is a very light flexible ducky.

The stock antenna didn't blow as much as I thought it would. I've had worse.

Reactions: 1 person
You have programmable transmit and receive choices of Blue, Orange and purple.

I chose blue for all screens. I find it soothing. been getting tired of Green and Orange.

Last edited:
Let me know when you find the right cable. As soon as I/you find the right cable, let me know and I'll buy the radio and the cable!

That cable you linked to should work fine. I've never seen that one before, but I like it!

UV-3R and UV-5R Pic

As promised earlier, here is a pic showing the UV-5R next to the UV-3R for size comparison:

2112-1331790817-9b26f2452bfe817ea7d93e03d11b003d.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?