• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5r VHF/UHF HT Review

Received the UV-5R a few days ago.
Been playing around with manually programming it.

This viddy helped IMMENSELY:

BAOFENG UV-5R Programing memory CH - YouTube

Also went down to HRO and bought a Comet SMA 24 HT antenna and a SMA adapter.
Cost was ~$30 with tax.

Also bought a SMA to SO-239 adapter and used the HT in the mobile with a Diamond NR-770 mag mount antenna.
Cost was $6 for the adapter.
Works great on the local repeaters.

After another week longer using it, I will then post a thorough evaluation from my perspective.
Looks positive so far.

Last edited:
It tells me I'm on com 12. But when I click on it it tells me the device cannot start. I have tried installing the prolific driver and it tells me the same thing.

PEMC:

Try setting the port number to a lower number. My memory is hazy on this, but I recall running into issues with prolific USB-to-serial unless the COM port was <10. Just get properties on the port in device manager, click the port settings tab, and click the Advanced button. You should see a place to set the port number in the advanced settings.

I could be thinking of some other issue entirely, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Robb, which areas are you having problems with?

I can get the software to read the radio.
I cannot get the radio to accept the programming list I have made for it.

Does the radio need to be in Freq mode or channel mode - I've tried them both.
I cannot find a help file or anything else to do it.
Where and what is the method?

On mine, if I can read it, I can write to it. When I first got mine, I had a little problem writing but it was because I didn't have the connecter pushed in quite far enough. I really have to push hard on the connector to get it to seat.

I finally got it to write to the radio. Just like Moleculo said, you have to push on the programming plug a little bit more - even though it was already plugged in. Guess they didn't make those plug tips long enough on the programming cables.

When I write to the radio, it programs both A and B at the same time. So you end up with a duplicate of A on B. Is this one of the glitches that this radio firmware needs to have ironed out? Or are there others glitches that I don't know about yet.

I think the firmware programming in this radio is a right mess!

Last edited:
A Turkey - but it works . . .

My thoughts on this bugger of a radio.

PICT0026.jpg

Yep. It is buggered up. The buggy firmware makes it very difficult to understand and even harder to obtain the desired results when programming it. No small surprise that so many comments have been made from others to that same effect. I agree with them. When manually programming it; it is fairly easy and straightforward.

This is my first HT. I bought it because I didn't want to spend a lot of money for an HT. Mostly, because I don't really need one. I did need the exposure to HT's and looked at this radio with curiosity. The need to learn to program 2m/440 equipment and have a radio that if destroyed if/when the dog should eat it was my motivation. It may well turn into a toy for the dog. But in the mean time - it works just fine. For those reasons, I am glad I didn't buy the Kenwood or the Yaesu. I just don't require or need a high-end +$400 HT. Your own needs may well vary.

It does work well. In fact, for the amount of money you pay for it, it is the best bargain out there - bar none. It transmits and receives well enough and that is why I said it - nothing more. Not saying that Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom are better nor worse in this regard.

What separates this Baofeng 'turkey' radio from the other name brand radios - is the cost. It has a lot of usable features. Just don't have great expectations about the Baofeng being as refined as the better radios are. Then, you surely won't be disappointed. The 409shop includes the shipping cost with the cost of the radio, which was $55. I also bought the programming cable for an additional $8.50. Total cost to my doorstep was $63.50. Who can argue for an HT at that price? Not me. Shipping this item from China is probably close to $20 or more.

I purchased the radio from China. The radio was out of stock when I ordered it. It was back in stock a week later, and took another week to be shipped to my home, and then I used it for a week. I now feel somewhat qualified to say something about it.

I tested it on the local repeater with the stock antenna. Got an S-1 report. Bought a Comet SMA-24 antenna and a sma female-to-female to adapt this antenna to this radio. After installing this antenna I re-tested it and got an S-3. I could also hear/tx better from inside my 'shack' using the Comet. I haven't added a 'tiger tail' to improve the stock duck antenna performance as yet (adding a 1/4 wave length wire to the shield of the antenna jack to ensure a solid ground plane at the frequency being used - so not as to rely on the capacitive ground plane that the human body becomes when using any HT). But I will use one on the stock antenna and the replacement antenna as well. It can't hurt to use a 'tiger tail; and it can only help it. I will report back with my experiment.

Also used a Diamond X-50A with a sma to SO-239 connector. Got an S-5 report from the repeater when using the radio at 5 watts output using the Diamond base antenna. Not surprising - but nice. Clearly, the stock antenna is an issue with this radio. But I'll bet that the supplied rubber duck antenna is no better or worse than other stock HT rubber duck antennas on better radios. That is a guess; but a fair one.

When running the radio at 1 watt output, the battery lasted a fair amount of time. The battery it has is a 1.8 amp @ 7.4v LiOn. After TX/RX for nearly all day long, it required a re-charge. Took almost 2 hours long to re-charge - nearly to the minute. Others have reported that the charger has problems. I had no problem with it yet.

The built-in LED flashlight can be used to detect if the battery is getting low. The LCD battery indicator doesn't seem to be working as it should. Otherwise, the display is easy to read. I like being able to program the name of the repeater in the alphanumeric display instead of the frequency readout. That is kinda cool - to me. The change in the display color when TX or RX is neat too.

The TX audio reports were positive when used in my car with a Diamond NR-770. Many said that it sounded xlnt. Just so long as you are using an antenna that gets the job done, it performs quite well.

The PTT button won't keep the TX light lit unless you firmly push the PTT button with enough force. Might be just a glitch with this particular radio that I got. The TX wasn't intermittent as the indicator light was - though. . .

Physically, its build is pretty stout. Feels very solid in your hand. About the size of pack of cigarettes. Pretty hefty in weight; the extra-powerful battery is a real plus too - IMO. Eight hours on a single change while talking on local repeaters with 1 watt output is more than fair. I just talked intermittently; not continuously.

Programming this radio using the software was a comedy of errors. You can get through it as I did if you are patient and learn from your mistakes and continue. Like I said, this is my first HT. But I am also quite certain than ANY HT can be programmed easier than this one. Because, it simply can't get much worse.

But it works. It is a bargain. Just be patient and hold your nose. If it should have a catastrophic accident and it gets eaten - or worse - I will buy another one. But only if they straighten out the firmware and the software for this radio first. Otherwise, I will get a Wouxun. BTW - did I say that this radio is a turkey? Yes I did; but I like turkey.

Rating it, I will have to give it a 3.5 out of 5. Why so high? The fact that it has a strong battery, it works well enough to get the job done, and it is very inexpensive. IF the firmware and the software were spot on, I wouldn't think twice about giving it a solid 5 . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I have both the English and Chinese voice UV-5R's. I can write to them both, but cannot read from either of them.

There is an update to the software that came out on 3/27/12. Ed states that further updates are coming. You will likely see any new info being posted in the Yahoo group first.

I think the firmware is the real culprit that gives this radio that 'sucky' quality. Perhaps there is a workaround in the software. Perhaps they get it right this next time. One can only hope at this point. If not; then software is just going to let it work without working as it should have been done. But who cares? This radio is still cheap but very effective.

At least the software worked. They would need to make it in English and opt for other languages. No more of those ??? in the software. That's gotta go!

The programming cable can also be mfd just a little bit better too. By the time all of these problems are worked out, they will probably want as much for it as the Wouxun. BTW - what is the software and firmware like in the Wouxun? Does it suck - too?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.