• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBT Delivered Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 Today

Received mine about a week ago. Very pleased at the quality and construction. Also of note is the hardware, all stainless. (Sans the U-bolts)

Does anybody know what type of Aluminum alloy is used, i.e. 6063-T5, 6063-T832, 6061-T6, etc.?

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Received mine about a week ago. Very pleased at the quality and construction. Also of note is the hardware, all stainless. (Sans the U-bolts)

Does anybody know what type of Aluminum alloy is used, i.e. 6063-T5, 6063-T832, 6061-T6, etc.?

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Congrats....and welcome to the forum. (y)

Does

Congrats....and welcome to the forum. (y)

Thanks, I'd always wanted one in the early 80's to go along with a nice President Madison and Turner +2 desk mic. Well none of that materialized but my 10 yr. old lad just earned his Tech ticket. So he'll be on 10-meters. I'll be tuning it for 28.400 MHz center freq.

BTW, my old setup was a Royce 639 40 Ch. AM/SSB rig with a Wilson V58 (now MaCo) and an old D-104 hand mic. I still have a stock Grant XL in the shack. Perhaps I'll run it through the tuner to the Hy-Gain from time to time.

Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Thanks, I'd always wanted one in the early 80's to go along with a nice President Madison and Turner +2 desk mic. Well none of that materialized but my 10 yr. old lad just earned his Tech ticket. So he'll be on 10-meters. I'll be tuning it for 28.400 MHz center freq.

BTW, my old setup was a Royce 639 40 Ch. AM/SSB rig with a Wilson V58 (now MaCo) and an old D-104 hand mic. I still have a stock Grant XL in the shack. Perhaps I'll run it through the tuner to the Hy-Gain from time to time.

Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Yep...I started out in 1978 on a 23 channel Cobra 29 with a back of the set antenna.....soon upgraded to a turner +2..the turner was my pride n joy....my first base antenna was a Super Magnum...a very good antenna.....have a good one....Es :)

I just ordered one today and the guy said they are making some more starting on the 5th. Can't wait to get mine to see how it works. He thought he saw a couple in the warehouse but could not be sure. How high should the radials be from the roof or other objects. I may need another length on my mast.

I never had one of the old penetrators...this is my first one.....I asked the guy at hy-gain and he said they were the same?

Hi agn, Es:

This is also my first (& 2nd - hihi!) Penetrator. I have handled and seen them back in the late 70's/early 80's while helping with installs and working in a CB shop here in Long Island, NY. It really does appear to be just like the last model Hy-Gain released, including going from two fasteners per radial-to-bracket to just one. Remember, time lends enhancement wrt memories.

I received the second one a few days ago and will leave it packed away in the garage just in case it goes the way of the dinasaur again.

To all, enjoy your Independance Day celebrations and be safe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated