• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best base antenna coax

Best and practical are two different things.
I presume you are talking HF/ CB frequencies.
There are also other factors like if you are going to bury it etc. .. but
For a standard antenna to radio setup,
LMR-400 flex would be on the high end.
RG8x would be the practical solution and you won't notice much difference between the two (besides cost).

Well said tba02! Couldn't agree more. Just make sure the coax is made by a quality company. Belden, Commscope/Andrew, Eupen, Judd wire, 123 wireless, Jefa Tech, these a few quality coax companies that I would recommend buying or looking into. The Judd Wire 400 plus is some nice coax and it is very flexible. I have a couple of short pieces of it for coax jumpers and man it's some really nice stuff. But RG8X At the length you are enquiring about is fine as long as it's made by a good company. Either that or even LMR240UF.
At any rate. Some choices of companies listed above that I have personally used as far as coax goes and all are well made minus the Jefa Tech coax, but I have heard good things about them as well.
Also make sure that whatever coax you get has some UV protection to it! Have a good one and hope you are enjoying the new radio as well!!

Reactions: midnight special
tba02, I would caution using Times Microwave LMR 400 UF. Check any reviews you can find on the Internet in this regard if you plan a long run.

My coax supplier stopped handing the UF line due to excessive returns. They claim the rubber cover material (instead of polyethylene) does not tend to hold up well, so they only sell the regular LMR with the more heavy duty polyethylene covering. There is a definite difference in flexibility however.

Something to consider.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I run about 100 ft of LMR 400. Living out in the middle of the desert, damage from UV rays is a fact. Average lifespan for exposed cable here is about 24 months

Solved the problem by threading the coax through some inexpensive CANTEX pipe. This keeps the weather and sun off the cable as well as making it resistant to the various critters that like to run around the yard and chew on things. Also, as it ages it turns a nice shade of brown which will match my house and roof shingle color!

Just love the LMR 400- virtually no loss at HF frequencies.

Agree with fourstring- that connector is vitally important- Spend a little bit more and get a good one, then make sure it is properly installed and weatherproofed. You will thank me later.

Marconi,
I was not aware of the issue with the Times Microwave UF so thanks. I typically use the DXE-400 MAX for any flex needs. I do also use the standard TM LMR-400 but have found the DXE better suits my needs for anything in that realm (VHF).

I run about 100 ft of LMR 400. Living out in the middle of the desert, damage from UV rays is a fact. Average lifespan for exposed cable here is about 24 months

Surprised to read that LMR coax which is supposed to be UV resistant fail even in your surroundings.

Maybe RG213 would be better since it is stiffer and designed for HF whereas LMR is really for VHF/UHF frequencies and beyond since coax losses get significant above HF frequencies.

did it come with N connectors? that's how mine came which worked out since my lightning arrestor was N connectors too. cut it in the middle for the arrestor and put pl259s on the now outer ends.

Would be nice if all radio and antenna manufacturers converted to using N connectors as the new standard.

These connectors are superior to the ancient pl259/so239's given they are more water tight and a more solid connection. Maybe one day.

How much power are you going to put through it? At 40 feet Rg-58 would work just fine if you are running less than 100 watts. RG-8x works good to. For longer runs then you want to start looking at better stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated