• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Coax for Base Antenna

I have bought some rg11 from dx engineering. It seems like good stuff. I wouldn't be afraid to buy their other flavors of coax.

I have been buying 90% of my coax from JEFA Tech for the last several years. I've used a lot of their 213 for mobiles and lmr400 equivalent for base antennas. I recently bought a run of their lmr600. No issues with any of it and they have good prices.

If you will be disconnecting it a lot the solid center conductor may not last long depending on how much you move it. Keep in mind lmr400 ultra flex costs more and has a bit more loss.

If you use lmr400 I would use a short jumper in the shack made of 213 so you can disconnect without bending the solid core cowaxe.

You can use this to weigh out performance vs cost.

http://www.qsl.net/co8tw/Coax_Calculator.htm

Let's say you have a 1.2 swr on ch 20 at the antenna and your radio does 4 watts. With 125 feet of 213 you will deliver 2.946 watts to the antenna. With lmr400 it would be 3.23 watts. Lmr900 would be 3.691 watts.

There's nothing to be gained with expensive coax at 27mhz you just need to be sure it will handle the power you plan to put through it.
Sorry, I really screwed up when I wrote 1/20th of a watt more loss.

I apologize for my inaccuracy, I just pulled that from the top of me heed and should've done the math before opening my big mout... uh, keyboard.

It's actually not 1/20th of a watt difference, it's quite a bit more than that.
1/20th was wrong, it's much closer to 1/16th of a watt at 4w input.

Reactions: tba02
Sorry, I really screwed up when I wrote 1/20th of a watt more loss.

I apologize for my inaccuracy, I just pulled that from the top of me heed and should've done the math before opening my big mout... uh, keyboard.

It's actually not 1/20th of a watt difference, it's quite a bit more than that.
1/20th was wrong, it's much closer to 1/16th of a watt at 4w input.

Close enough for government work.

Reactions: Needle Bender

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.