• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mobile Antenna 10 - 40 Meters

I ran ham sticks on 40, 20 & 10 and a original High Sierra screwdriver when I had my pickup, the ham sticks did just as well as the screwdriver as long as you didn't want to move around the band a lot. Have a Great Lakes 392 that I'm planning on trying on the car but haven't installed it yet so not sure how it's going to play.

Reactions: 2RT307
4_models Larry' Antennas.jpg

THE KW 6-160 IS THE BEST MOBILE ANTENNA AVAILABLE ANYWHERE only outperformed by our new HD models. IT COVERS ALL THE BANDS, WILL HANDLE A KILOWATT OF POWER PEP, RUNS COOL AND IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN ANY OTHER SIMILAR ANTENNAS FOR ITS SIZE. WHILE TESTING WITH A KILOWATT AFTER 1/2 HOUR THE COIL ONLY RAISED 5 DEGREES F. THAT IS REMARKABLE ACCOMPLISHMENT. MANY ARE IN USE AS BASE STATION ANTENNAS. 12 GA COPPER WIRE on Hi tech phenolic coil form

Still lovin mine....Mobile with 72" whip (75/40m)...24" for 20-2m....even though she works OK down to 75m with the short whip, but the tuning gets real "sharp" on 75....Much more efficient with longer whip
(but loose 6 & 2m)
Portable works GREAT with about 20 ft # 10 awg wire instead of the whip! I ground mount it on a Christmas Tree stand I rigged up with radials attached.
I think I've owed it like 4 years now...never had an issue with motor or coil.
All the Best
Gary

I've been using the Jetstream stick antennas for 10 and 20m mounted on a Breedlove heavy duty stake pocket mount. I have the mount in the left rear stake pocket of my truck. I was able to adjust the antennas quickly for best match so I assume the Breedlove mount gets a good bite in the metal on the inside of the stake pocket although I could add a ground strap and be ok.

Screwdriver antennas never appealed to me I think due to their high profile. The only one I ever used was the Yaesu ATAS-120A and it worked great for me despite the eHam reviews. The "A" version has the weather boot and I was able to run it mobile for several years with no issues.

With a good mount the shark kit should be fine. Your probably already aware of it but K0BG has some great info on mobile antennas and mounts.

http://k0bg.com/

I had a ATAS-120A also...despite bad reviews, I give it an A+ except for no 75m ability...But GREAT 20m on up...Works really well mounted so the entire coil was above the cab of the truck...mounted below cab level so-so...Great 10m antenna best I ever used!
All the Best
Gary

Down to 20 meters the hamstick I ran performed as well as the screwdriver but below 20 they become very inefficient. The screw-driver is better and besides it's easier to change bands.

I've been using the Jetstream stick antennas for 10 and 20m mounted on a Breedlove heavy duty stake pocket mount. I have the mount in the left rear stake pocket of my truck. I was able to adjust the antennas quickly for best match so I assume the Breedlove mount gets a good bite in the metal on the inside of the stake pocket although I could add a ground strap and be ok.

Screwdriver antennas never appealed to me I think due to their high profile. The only one I ever used was the Yaesu ATAS-120A and it worked great for me despite the eHam reviews. The "A" version has the weather boot and I was able to run it mobile for several years with no issues.

With a good mount the shark kit should be fine. Your probably already aware of it but K0BG has some great info on mobile antennas and mounts.

http://k0bg.com/

I've been running my Predator 10-K on 10 meters with no issues at all. It is pretty broadbanded, but works really well, even barefoot at about 50-60 watts. The mount I have is stout enough to handle the Predator, so it ought to handle a Shark without a problem.

And yeah, you sure can spend a lot of time reading at K0BG's site.

I also looked at these: http://www.hiqantennas.com/
Their info and reviews look really good, as does their build quality. But that puts me into every bit of 600+ dollars for an antenna and controller, which is more than I am interested in spending right now. Still looking at going the less expensive route to gauge my real interest before spending that kind of money.

Brett

I ran ham sticks on 40, 20 & 10 and a original High Sierra screwdriver when I had my pickup, the ham sticks did just as well as the screwdriver as long as you didn't want to move around the band a lot. Have a Great Lakes 392 that I'm planning on trying on the car but haven't installed it yet so not sure how it's going to play.

Thanks for the info on the Great Lakes. Price point is decent there, and close to the Shark package of antennas. I already have a 102" whip just sitting in the garage. Figure it's actually easier to switch the jumpers than to unscrew/screw in another antenna (or even with the quick disconnects). It looks like it's built pretty well. Wish you had already tried yours out!

Brett

http://www.alpineantenna.com/main/page_product_gallery_antennas.html

Brett: Here's another group of screwdrivers...little better on the price break...just won't handle a big gun amp...I bought the KW model from Larry just "in-case" I decide one day to go nuts crazy mobile monster!;)....The bigger coil package in mine (3 1/2" diameter is really efficient)....
Even the Best mobile antennas are still only 10-15% efficient below 20m....
A 40m Hamstick is lucky to be 5%...
All the Best
Gary

Well, I decided to try the Great Lakes 392M. A ham in north Texas had really good things to say about his. Bid on ebay and got it for a good price. Will let you guys know how it works out.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.