• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST PRODUCT FOR SCRATCHY VOLUME KNOBS ECT

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Can I spray deoxit on the shaft and potenteomiter after removing the volume knob or do I need to remove the cover and spray it directly on to the potentiometer? Ihave no eelectronic stores in my area. I don't think Wal-Mart or lows sells deoxit. EBay sellers take two too three wweeks for delivery. Something to do with mailing products such as deoxit. Is there something i can buy at lows Wal-Mart or the Like? Is the contact cleaner sold at radio shack ok to use on scratchy knobs? All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks again my friends.

You have to spray inside the pot. Some guys say you can use WD40, and I have tried it too. Not aware of any negative long or short term problems using it as yet. It works on some pots that have been very stubborn that didn't respond to standard pot cleaner/spray. Be sure to let it drain out or spray them with some canned air after the treatment and after you work the pots.

You just have to watch it when using WD40 as some pots are plastic and may not react very well. that being said I have heard of a lot of people that do use it. then again I have heard some people say that spraying WD-40 on their joints was a cure for arthritis too. Maybe if they were a robot it would work. :ROFLMAO: The switch and contact cleaner radio Shack sells is about as good as any on the normal cleaners. The very best is a product called Blue Shower but I am not sure if it is still made. It is blue and foams up and leaves a blue greasy film after the carrier dries.

Don't use WD 40 ! It will work for a while, but ultimately destroys the pot.It is ok on the shaft but definitely not on the Pot.

Depending on the composition of the pot I guess. Either that or the word "ultimately" could mean after years and years. I wouldn't use it personally, then again I did electronics servicing and always had the proper stuff to use, however a lot of people have used it and had no problems.

[Qhave a can of the radio shack cleaner/lubricate but I wanted to use the best as I want it to work the first time so, I purchased a can of deoxit. I forgot which one I bought but thay make several different types. I purchased the one that's won't hurt plastic and contains 5% lubricant.I purchased it off an eBay seller at $14.95="Captain Kilowatt, post: 498730, member: 39"]You just have to watch it when using WD40 as some pots are plastic and may not react very well. that being said I have heard of a lot of people that do use it. then again I have heard some people say that spraying WD-40 on their joints was a cure for arthritis too. Maybe if they were a robot it would work. :ROFLMAO: The switch and contact cleaner radio Shack sells is about as good as any on the normal cleaners. The very best is a product called Blue Shower but I am not sure if it is still made. It is blue and foams up and leaves a blue greasy film after the carrier dries.[/QUOTE]
I havv

Can I spray deoxit on the shaft and potenteomiter after removing the volume knob or do I need to remove the cover and spray it directly on to the potentiometer? Ihave no eelectronic stores in my area. I don't think Wal-Mart or lows sells deoxit. EBay sellers take two too three wweeks for delivery. Something to do with mailing products such as deoxit. Is there something i can buy at lows Wal-Mart or the Like? Is the contact cleaner sold at radio shack ok to use on scratchy knobs? All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks again my friends.

The best thing you can do is replace the pot. Sprays are a temporary solution at best. Any thing that leaves a residue is not recommended. To put a greasy or oily film between the contact wiper arm and the carbon film will be disastrous.

DeOxit has worked wonders for me. Definitely get in there and spray the potentiometer as best as you can. Like Brylcreem, a little dab l' do ya. I have also used the Radio Shack spray, and it seems to work well. And sometimes it's just a matter of using the darned thing. When my rigs sit unused for a long time, they get scratchy again.

Brett

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
The best thing you can do is replace the pot. Sprays are a temporary solution at best. Any thing that leaves a residue is not recommended. To put a greasy or oily film between the contact wiper arm and the carbon film will be disastrous.

Except when that film is designed to actually lubricate the carbon tracks of the pot and prevent eroding of the carbon causing even more trouble.

Reactions: wavrider
caig deoxit fader lube is the best stuff i have used,
wd40 is ok for removing glue residue and washing the friction grease out of the shaft bearing if you like loooose pots.

Reactions: psycho
I prefer deoxit, and have used in on so many old tubers and hybrids, works wonders.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.