• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best way to bend solid aluminum rod and sheet ???

Bending aluminum

Best way to aneal aluminum is:
Use a black felt pen and mark a line on the back side of where you are going to heat. You can use propane or acetelene. When the felt pen mark dissapears the aluminum is the right temperature to douse in cold water. Almost all non-ferrus metals can be anealed this way. Heat them up, then drop into cold water. Not so with ferrus (iron containing) metals. The aluminum will work harden as you are bending it, thus it will regain its stiffness. This bending will not make the aluminum stronger, just make it stiff again and more difficult to bend.
Caution, you can heat aluminum hot enough with a propane toarch so as to melt it. The outside layer of aluminum rod is aluminum oxide and aluminum oxide melts at a higher temperature than aluminum. This means if you heat an aluminum rod with a toarch, the insides can become molten, with the outside still not. As soon as the outside melts, the whole issue drops on the floor.
Using a felt pen as a temperature marker ensures that you don't get the metal too hot.

i wound up using the closed end of a 1 inch wrench to bend it in little 1/8 inch bites and used the rounded back of a file to smooth out the little burrs from doing it . worked fine for the 5/8 solid .

i used my bro-in-laws old 8 ft industrial break on the thick sheet .

I bought a nice tubing bender at Harbor Freight, that I use for bending 3/8" tubing for making driven elements on LFA Yagis. I think it cost under $6. Should work on solid rod, as well. I wish the handles were about 6" longer though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.