• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BHI MK3 ON A CB RADIO?

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I've done some research on dsp speakers, and checked out some YouTube videos, and eham reviews.
All the videos seem to be of external dsp speakers being used on hf's, most of witch have some sort of built-in dsp already.
The BHI Mk 2 and 3 seem to work very well.
I did watch a video of a dsp external speaker being used on an old hybrid hf which I'm sure had no built in dsp features, but the old hf hybrids may still have a better front end then a madison or sonar fs2340.
Has anyone used a BHI or the like on a single or double conversion front end 11 meter cb radio?
What were your ssb results?
The cheapest price I could find on the BHI mk3 was $210.
If there's an other dsp speaker other then BHI? I'd like to know about your experiences.
$210 is about what I'm comfortable spending, but if someone recommends one that's a few dollars more and says it does what it's supposed too, I'll buy it.
That's of course if the replyes are positive for using those on a cb radio.
I don't spend as much time on the rig as id like, but i want the time i spend to be as plesurable as it posibly, as far as listening goes.
There's no doubt an hf's in my near future and know these really make a terrific addition to the already dsp hf's, but for now the reason for wanting one is adding it to my madison and sonar.
BHI offers an optional two radio switch witch I haven't seen offered for the other branded dsp external speaker.
Thanks

Has anyone used a BHI or the like on a single or double conversion front end 11 meter cb radio?
What were your ssb results?

I have used a BHI speaker but not on a CB but it wouldn't make a difference that it was as it is purely audio DSP. They work well, probably better than most amateur HF radio DSP noise reduction does. If nothing else they take away the hash you get on HF and make it far easier to listen to your radio for long periods. If you only have one radio and you're happy to drill a couple of small holes in your radio case for a control button and a LED they do a circuit board only solution that you fit inside your radio and it hooks up to the rig speaker but if you use multiple radios that isn't the best solution.

However the one thing to always keep in mind, and the main reason I no longer use one, is that they do not address the RF portion of interference so if you can't hear someone because of the level of RF from the source of interference wiping them out then that situation is not going to improve using AF DSP. It will improve what is there but it cannot recreate something which isn't, either because the signal is too weak or the QRM too strong.

There is another option though that would deal with the RF portion of QRM and that is a noise canceller. It works on the principle of phasing. With AC if you have two signals equal in amplitude and 180 degrees out of phase with each other they cancel each other out. With something like the MFJ1025/1026 it has a receive antenna which receives the QRM and feeds it in out of phase to the signal from your main antenna and sends the result out to your radio. You can adjust the phasing and amplitude to maximise its performance and cater for it nulling out signals you actually want to hear. The MFJ1026 is $199.95

In the following video around 1:18 onwards it makes a S1/S2 signal that is wiped out by S7-9 of local QRM completely able to be copied. If that is what you're wanting to do then you need to be buying a MFJ1026 and not a BHI speaker or other audio DSP noise reduction solution.

Last edited:
FWIW I have an old Radio Shack DSP sitting up on the shelf.

It's reasonable effective on SSB- but isn't worth squat on AM

The MFj 1025 seems like it does a great job, but when I see knobs on a piece of radio gear that usually means adjustments.
The dsp speakers are on/off, and the BHI mk3's only adjustment is a single dial to control the amount of wanted processing. (prosessing?)
I'm happy to report that the source of my recived interferance is dissipating.
Whatever it was is down to a a 1/2 s-unit, and even drops out completely.
I tryed everything in my power to track it down, without success. I've a feeling I would've had to live with it.
I was actually getting used to it, but now that it's dropping out I realize what a quiet reciver both the madison and fs2340 have (for cb radio's).
The fact that the noise is dropping out isn't changing my mind about purchesing an exsternal dsp speaker.
I actually can't believe it's not something that's owned by everyone who shooting or listening to 11 meter ssb dx'ing, and owner's and or operators of hf's, no matter where there used.
Had I known about these dsp speakers, I would've purchesed one when I first began operating ssb (7 months).
I still haven't purchesed one yet, because I'd like to get some more feedback on the plus' and or minus' of the different brands and models.
I'm going with the BHI mk3 if I get no further feedback..
it seems like an excellent product. Thanks
I have used a BHI speaker but not on a CB but it wouldn't make a difference that it was as it is purely audio DSP. They work well, probably better than most amateur HF radio DSP noise reduction does. If nothing else they take away the hash you get on HF and make it far easier to listen to your radio for long periods. If you only have one radio and you're happy to drill a couple of small holes in your radio case for a control button and a LED they do a circuit board only solution that you fit inside your radio and it hooks up to the rig speaker but if you use multiple radios that isn't the best solution.

However the one thing to always keep in mind, and the main reason I no longer use one, is that they do not address the RF portion of interference so if you can't hear someone because of the level of RF from the source of interference wiping them out then that situation is not going to improve using AF DSP. It will improve what is there but it cannot recreate something which isn't, either because the signal is too weak or the QRM too strong.

There is another option though that would deal with the RF portion of QRM and that is a noise canceller. It works on the principle of phasing. With AC if you have two signals equal in amplitude and 180 degrees out of phase with each other they cancel each other out. With something like the MFJ1025/1026 it has a receive antenna which receives the QRM and feeds it in out of phase to the signal from your main antenna and sends the result out to your radio. You can adjust the phasing and amplitude to maximise its performance and cater for it nulling out signals you actually want to hear. The MFJ1026 is $199.95

In the following video around 1:18 onwards it makes a S1/S2 signal that is wiped out by S7-9 of local QRM completely able to be copied. If that is what you're wanting to do then you need to be buying a MFJ1026 and not a BHI speaker or other audio DSP noise reduction solution.

Last edited:
Whatever it was is down to a a 1/2 s-unit, and even drops out completely.
I tryed everything in my power to track it down, without success. I've a feeling I would've had to live with it.

Has it been something ongoing for a while or a recent event? I only ask because the sun burped again this week and turned HF off. Its been an almost weekly occurrence for the last few months.

It stared on sept.27. Yesterday for the first time since, it would drop down from it's constant 1 s-unit to a half an s-unit, and today it was in there but eventually slowly dropped out.
I wish I could've linked or posted the short clip I made.
I tried posting it several times, but just kept getting a message saying "extension not alowed.
I posted it on YouTube listed as: recived interferance. I never had this problem and it didn't affect any locals.
It was prominent on AM, and even though I heard it on ssb it wasn't bothersome.
If any would like to check it out on YouTube it's a sonar fs2340.
The interferance was taken out by strong signals but was very annoying.
Sounded like an idling car engine. I'm glad it's gone and hope to never hear it again.
I was convinced from the beginning it was related to an atmospheric condition, but suspect I might never know for sure. Thanks
Has it been something ongoing for a while or a recent event? I only ask because the sun burped again this week and turned HF off. Its been an almost weekly occurrence for the last few months.

Completely agree.
The BHI is a great unit , and most likely the best on the market, but if the signal is under the noise it wont do anything.
Also worth noting is it wont help with static crashes from lightning .( happens to fast and to random).
Works better with old POS Cbs than late model HF sets .
Anyway If my radio is on so is my BHI.

Last edited:
Stellar That interference! Your not talking about the woodpecker are you? ( over the horizon radar) been hearing that a lot lately. Neither the Bhi or the MFJ will have any effect on it. Wait till you hear it 60 over 9 oh joy!!!

Last edited:
I'm very familiar with the woodpecker.
If that were the issue it would be great. OHR wasn't the issues.
It was and I'm thankful I say was because whatever it was is gone. I'm looking forward to getting the BHI MK3.
I don't know how it's not a required purchase.
The best thing to come out of my now gone interferance was my discovery of the DSP speaker. Check out YouTube (radio interference) and you'll understand what I've been hearing since 9/27. I'm hoping it never comes back. Truthfully after watching other clips of cb interferance, mine wasn't that bad at 1 s-unit but drove me crazy just not being able to correct it or track it down myself. It's the sonar fs2340 on YouTube under / radio interference.
Stellar That interference! Your not talking about the woodpecker are you? ( over the horizon radar) been hearing that a lot lately. Neither the Bhi or the MFJ will have any effect on it. Wait till you hear it 60 over 9 oh joy!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.