• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Blown up, split in 2 finals?

Two failed finals and a blown AM Reg? You might have gotten an indirect strike. But if that is the case, if you replace the tip36c and something else fails shortly after that; then it was an indirect strike.

I've only had the opportunity to work on a radio that had an indirect lightning strike, and had to fix more than a few things on it.

The tip36c is a cheap and plentiful part; but don't buy a poor quality one, since it will be running pretty hard when in AM.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
The tip36c is a cheap and plentiful part; but don't buy a poor quality one, since it will be running pretty hard when in AM.
This is the exact reason I have always shied away from an electronic repair. I search a simple part number, and I get 100 matches. How in the world am I going to wade through that?

I found one on ebay for $5 that the pic is the exact one in the radio. I will probably buy that one, and if it is different in any way it will be returned. Seems safe enough I guess.

This is the exact reason I have always shied away from an electronic repair. I search a simple part number, and I get 100 matches. How in the world am I going to wade through that?

I found one on ebay for $5 that the pic is the exact one in the radio. I will probably buy that one, and if it is different in any way it will be returned. Seems safe enough I guess.

Well at least you got the SSB working, good luck repairing the AM section.. Hope you get up and running soon... It definetly sounded like a lighting strike, thats why I mentioned that or a power surge at your home 20... I have my astron 70 amp hooked up to a APC S20 power conditioner with battery backup.. I have my PC and equipment hooked up to that, if I ever lose power everything will stay on for about 20 mins..

Well at least you got the SSB working, good luck repairing the AM section.. Hope you get up and running soon... It definetly sounded like a lighting strike, thats why I mentioned that or a power surge at your home 20... I have my astron 70 amp hooked up to a APC S20 power conditioner with battery backup.. I have my PC and equipment hooked up to that, if I ever lose power everything will stay on for about 20 mins..
Just curious how a surge can get to a radio? Is it though the ground? Or neutral through the ground, or jumping the hot switch? I guess I don't really know how a surge could be much of an issue, unless the power supply was switched on at the time.

Assuming you have at least 1 ground rod by your antenna, try one of these pictured below to protect against nearby strikes and static discharge. I use this clamp and polyphasers for all 3 of my antennas. This breaks the coax connections before entering the shack. I have 3-8ft ground rods bonded together with this clamp on 1 of them.

Also use a quality surge protection power strip. I use TrippLite power strips because they have the better reputation for quality over the Walmart cheapies.

That should protect you from what you just experienced. With a direct lightning strike, I wouldn't guarantee it, I would be more concerned about my house not catching fire.

The clamp and polyphasers are sold separately.

dxe-ucgc_sn.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.