• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boomer Deluxe 500 Base amp

Buckshot

May 29, 2008
Hello i was wondering if anyone has ever wired a on off switch or variable speed switch for the fan on the rear of amp? My microphone picks up the noise where i like to run my turner +3B desk mic modulation. The amp is a straight 4 pills with 1446 trans. So how could i add this switch, what type of switch could i use? This amp also has the two lugs on front for mobile power supply. Any help would be appreciated.

You will need a variable it would go inline with the wires that run to the fan it would be spliced in. It would work kind of like a dimmer switch on a house light that is how the speed control could be set ;)

I had the same problem here with my power mic picking up the noise from the fan...
I put my amp down near the floor and off to the right side away from my mic...it works good now......just a thought..

As a previous user of power microphones, including the Turner +3B and D-104, I say that the gain is too high. Your microphone should not be able to pick up the fan noise. I know a lot of guys crank the mic gains up and then lean back in their chairs about two feet from the mic and that's not the way to do it. Your audio would be much better with lower gain and speaking close to the mic. Just offering some advise learned from being in this crazy hobby for 33+ years. Use it if you want and ignore it if you wish.

Alot of people think you have to turn up that gain on that power mic so you can boom the airwaves :censored: Thats not the case all you need to do with a radio thats been peak and tuned is set the radios mic gain at 12:00 position and your mic gain by using a simple test using AM or SSB key the mic and watch your radios meter or an outboard power meter you shouldnt see any audio movement this is where SSB is the easiest mode because there is no carrier but even AM mode will show if theres audio there moving the needle above and beyond its carrier point.

Seeing movement on a deadkey is no good this means that you have your gain set to high and you need to back it down. some people do not have alot of background noise but when talking almost have that echo in the room that also comes from the gain set to high. You have to find that happy medium for each application or setup rather it being a mobile or base eitherway steps have to be taken to set it propery or your going to bring all kinds of noise with your voice on keyup.

As stated if you are one of these people that to like to (kick back) in the easy chaiir and talk into the mic then I suggest you get a handheld because if you dont plan on yelling to be heard in the microphone then you and others on the frequency are kjust going to have to deal with the background noise ;)

There are a couple things you can do to lower the fan noise.

If the fans are up AGAINST or VERY near a heat sink or other parts that would impede airflow, then move them back. I mounted a fan to the heat sink of my 667 once... HORRENDOUS NOISE! Put a 1 inch spacer on it, no more problems.

I've also done a fan speed switch.... Except you want it backwards. Lower speed on TX and faster speed on RX. Would work, but......

A simple resistor would slow things down.. Put a 5K pot in series with one of the leads to the fan (IF IT'S A DC FAN... AC FAN THIS WON'T WORK!!!!) and adjust to your hearts content.

BUT, as others have said, you have your mic too high. Put the limiter back in, put the mic gain on no more than 2-3, and stop armchair CB'in :)

--Toll_Free

Boomer Deluxe 500

I just got one of thes amps, and there is a componet on the power lever switch missing, Wrell I have it, but led broke off, it looks like it goes from the medium side of the switch then goed to the board. anyone know what it is? it looks like a load? non color coded resister? please help

Fan?

this is what i have done in the past i got a 12 volt fan & a 6 volt wall wort & run it with the fan works great not to much noise just right amp stays cool

Looking at the Sch on CB tricks there are two, two watt resistors used on the power switch.
One is a 150 Ohm, 2 watt resistor ( r-22)
One is a 27 Ohm, 2 watt resistor ( r-23)
Both of these would go to ground to bleed off some of the drive going to the input of the amp.
It would be cool if you would post some pictures of the inside of the amp, both the power supply and the Amp section.
Thanks.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff on getting pics posted. I have bought a few of these amps brandnew when they first came out. I wouldnt mind finding another one I should never have sold my new ones after I wasnt using them anymore. I should have kept atleast one of them. Ive got the schematic and fliers that were sent out from a distributor when they first hit the Market .

Mine was labled as a 35 amp power supply I believe or something of the sort.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?