• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BPHS1 Broadcast Headset (AUDIO-TECHNICA)

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I recently purchased an AUDIO-TECHNICA BPHS1 Broadcast Headset for use on my base station.

atech_bphs1_1s.png

I decided on a microphone/headset combo because it freed up my hands to make logbook entries as I talk. In addition, it permits me to move around and yet maintain the same relative position between the microphone and my mouth for more consistent audio. You can't do this with a desk or boom-mounted mike. I chose this particular unit because it is lightweight and very comfortable. The earmuffs seal well around my ears and block out the noise to the point that I can copy weak signals more easily. The mike element is a moving-coil dynamic which does not require "phantom power". I consider this a big plus. Also, the air checks I've made show that the mike's frequency response curve is a good match with the tone of my voice, and now my transmitted audio has a fuller, clearer , more robust sound.
From a mechanical standpoint, the unit is well constructed and durable. It has a 10' long heavy duty cable. The BPHS1 retails for $199, but I found this one NIB on Ebay for $100 (free shipping).

Here are the specs:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/89120bd665600348/0001_0277_00_bphs1_xf4_ss.pdf

I've used it for a couple of weeks, and I'm completely satisfied with it. 73s

- 399 J.J.

NOTE: The mike element is balanced and has an XLR connector, which required a balanced-to-unbalanced transformer to match up with my transceiver. Be sure to buy a HIGH QUALITY transformer, 'cause a cheap one will make your audio sound like S**T.

Really nice review JJ, even if I am late to the party. The audio has some good punch to it, so I am sure you make a lot of contacts.

To update things, how do you like it after all this time, and how is it holding up?

Brett

2RT307 -

It's been exactly three years since I purchased the AUDIO-TECHNICA headset, and I've had absolutely no problems with it. I had to replace the cord on the keyup box I made, because it was picking up some stray rf in my shack and occasionally added a slight squeal to my transmitted audio. Other than that, I'm still totally satisfied with its performance. 73s.

- JJ (unit 399)

2RT307 -

It's been exactly three years since I purchased the AUDIO-TECHNICA headset, and I've had absolutely no problems with it. I had to replace the cord on the keyup box I made, because it was picking up some stray rf in my shack and occasionally added a slight squeal to my transmitted audio. Other than that, I'm still totally satisfied with its performance. 73s.

- JJ (unit 399)

Well the timing was purely coincidental! Glad to hear it is still working well for you. I'm considering adding one to the shack for the same reasons you originally purchased yours. Thanks again for the review and update.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?