1. Marconi is the winner of the December WDX CB Club DX Contest! Please Congratulate him here!

Broadband antenna for rx only

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Need2Know, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Need2Know

Need2Know KK4GMU - The Villages, FL

In understand that the stock antennae on most HT's provide minimal performance.

For the Kenwood TH-F6A, (receives 0.1 through 1300MHz), what antenna or antennae would produce significant improvement below 100MHz short of going to an outdoor antenna? I will have a dual band attic mounted J-pole for 2 meter/70cm.

Are there any recommended radio-mount antennae that would result in significant improvement over the stock rubber ducky?

Anyone with experience with in-room mounted (semi-)long wire for receive only?

Other options, e.g. in-room long wire with antannae amplifier?

2. Beetle

Beetle Well-Known Member

Experiment.

On my first receiver, circa 1958, I used a piece of 22ga. bell wire running diagonally across my bedroom ceiling, then down to the antenna terminal. Maybe 14 feet altogether. I heard just about everything from AMBC up through the ten meter ham band, and I heard it well enough to accumulate a few hundred SWL QSL cards before I got my Novice license.

I've never used the TH-F6; I wouldn't think it would be as good as the old Hallicrafters for MW and HF.

But, to reiterate: experiment.

3. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

Sure, I did that when I had that same radio. It will definitely help. Another one you might look at is building a magnetic loop

4. Need2Know

Need2Know KK4GMU - The Villages, FL

A magnetic loop for receive only like this one?
    A Magnetic Loop Antenna for Shortwave Listening (SWL) - KR1ST

What are the input gain pattern over the range of freqencies handled by the F6 on various length "long wire" antennas? Do variable capacitors have a similar effect on long wires as they do on the magnetic loop exaample above?
    Have you applied variable capacitors to long wires?