• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Broadband antenna for rx only

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
In understand that the stock antennae on most HT's provide minimal performance.

For the Kenwood TH-F6A, (receives 0.1 through 1300MHz), what antenna or antennae would produce significant improvement below 100MHz short of going to an outdoor antenna? I will have a dual band attic mounted J-pole for 2 meter/70cm.

Are there any recommended radio-mount antennae that would result in significant improvement over the stock rubber ducky?

Anyone with experience with in-room mounted (semi-)long wire for receive only?

Other options, e.g. in-room long wire with antannae amplifier?

Experiment.

On my first receiver, circa 1958, I used a piece of 22ga. bell wire running diagonally across my bedroom ceiling, then down to the antenna terminal. Maybe 14 feet altogether. I heard just about everything from AMBC up through the ten meter ham band, and I heard it well enough to accumulate a few hundred SWL QSL cards before I got my Novice license.

I've never used the TH-F6; I wouldn't think it would be as good as the old Hallicrafters for MW and HF.

But, to reiterate: experiment.

Anyone with experience with in-room mounted (semi-)long wire for receive only?

Sure, I did that when I had that same radio. It will definitely help. Another one you might look at is building a magnetic loop

A magnetic loop for receive only like this one?
A Magnetic Loop Antenna for Shortwave Listening (SWL) - KR1ST

What are the input gain pattern over the range of freqencies handled by the F6 on various length "long wire" antennas? Do variable capacitors have a similar effect on long wires as they do on the magnetic loop exaample above?
Have you applied variable capacitors to long wires?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.