• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying An Astroplane

007, can you draw us a picture of your idea? I can be convinced to change my mind with a good pictorial argument.

I didn't want to re-read the patent, but you force me to find the part where they talk about dissimilar circuits that provide similar results. I believe those little hints have meaning, not that I fully understand, but such does cause me to pause and wonder.

Now you're making me want to read the patent. How 'bout a link.

I was simply thinking the RF begins at the connector, flows down and around both sides of the ring simultaneously, then back up to the tip, completing a ¾λ while the 180° inverted phase shield potential goes across the bracket to the top ¼λ as a counterpoise.

Almost like a 'circular' current flow, not to be cornfused with circular polarization.

I would expect it would still tune correctly if ½ of the ring was removed and the antenna was isolated from all metal, including the coax - via a cmc choke.

I may stand mine up on my lower flat section of roof and pull the coax (incl cmc choke) off at 90° from the antenna over to the upper roof about 12' from it, just to see if it will still perform the same as when it has the complete ring, and a mast up in it.

Does anyone think the AP has some directionality, or maybe some nulls?

I rotated the antenna on the pole 180° and now it seems to have dropped a little receive in a given direction. I'm going to watch it a while and see what I think.

Does anyone think the AP has some directionality, or maybe some nulls?

I rotated the antenna on the pole 180° and now it seems to have dropped a little receive in a given direction. I'm going to watch it a while and see what I think.

Homer, I've never noticed directionality, but I do set the element side with the top hat in the direction of most of the stations in my radio group which is Northwest...just in case that side is the actual radiator.

I don't think the Patent talks about directionality, but someone has raised the issue regarding the small lobe in the pattern located at the base of one of the nulls. I figure this little lobe may indicate that the radiator is truly mounted to one side of the tuner, maybe it is similar to a j-pole in this regard. I would refer to it as skewing of the pattern.

007 asked about the Patent. The number is 3587109 and I use: Google Patents

I'm going to hold you to your idea for a test. Keep us posted, OK?

The astroplane and astrobeam are great antennas,but the are bad for tvi...

So far i haven't noticed any TVI, and the neighbors haven't complained. I've got this one up to clear of everything. Even running an amp hasn't produced any to my knowledge.

Marconi said:
I'm going to hold you to your idea for a test. Keep us posted, OK?
to whom were you talking?

I'd recommend wrapping a common mode current choke in the coax a few feet below the ring.

I know, bringing it back from the grave...

I have seen this recommended on this forum several times but never any conclusions as to if it helped hurt or did not have any effect?

I thought the price was good, although he hinted at $40. I held him to the first price we discussed. It's a bit out of character for me to buy a base antenna, but I'm making an exception for this one. It needs cleaning up, replacing the hardware with SS, and try to put the missing bracket back in. It may be a little misshapen near the top, but I won't be sure until I get it off the mast it is on and in my hands. I'll pay particular attention to the feed point, and put it on a center mast as you've suggested.

As the weather is quickly closing in it will be a toss up whether I'll be able to move quickly enough to work this one out. I wish I had Houston weather to work with in the winter. As a boy growing up there I recall Christmas in short sleeves and sunshine.

I can hardly wait to look it over up close and personal. I've been talking to him on and off for nearly a year. He finally said yes today.

Good stuff Homer ! I should continue with mine as well , I've only had it over 2 years now lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated