• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

C.B Help...

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Well I wanted to have an SSB radio as my base station I have my 19 AMP 13.8 volt power supply hooked to my JCPenny 981-6247 and I connected my Turner Super Sidekick to my radio, I was told by a forum member that these JCPenny radios were 4-pin standard, but apparently not, when I connected my Turner to my radio it squealed loudly and I immediately turned it off, after dismantling the original cheapo stock mic I found it was NOT 4-pin standard, so I rewired another cheap mic to test the radio to make sure it was not damaged, Could the radio be damaged still though? It apparently works, should I bother rewiring my mic to it now? If so should I rewire the radios mic plug or the mic?

T23

I'm no expert on these things but I think I can answer this one.

rewire the mic properly and try it again. You can damage a radio by hooking up a miss wired mic but if you disconnected it or turned off the radio quickly when it started squealing than it most likely will be still ok. be sure its not just a feedback problem by turning the mic gain down some.

If you do a search for JCPenny 981-6247 you will find on this site that someone stated the radios mic socket is wired the same as a 4 pin cobra.

It's not wired the same as 4-pin cobra, the mic I rewired was a 4-pin cobra until I rewired it from looking at the original JCPenny Mic, I know the turner is 4-pin I have used it with my 89XLR base which is cobra 4-pin.

Heres the original mic wiring :

Sheaild to pin 1
Red to pin 2
White to pin 3
Black to pin 4

Heres how I rewired a Uniden bearcat mic to work, which was 4 pin I believe :

Shield to pin 1
Yellow to pin 2
Red to pin 3
Black to pin 4

T23

I just dont see whats going on here I dont have a problem with my wiring, its just the fact that the radio was not wired as stated, two forum members have clarified that the mic is cobra-4pin which it is not...

T23

The colors of the wires are not standard, you will find that after you play around with these radios a while.
Rule of thumb, almost always the shield wire is wrapped around the Audio wire.
Most of the time for a 4 wire mic ( not always ) the shield is ground.
Of the two remaining wires, one will be the TX wire, and one will be the RX wire.
I do not remember right now.....but I think the Super Side Kick has a switch on the bottom to allow you to switch from electronic to Relay switching, look and let me know

Do you have a volt /ohm meter?
Do you know how to use it?

Jeff

It does have a switch, but I am sure the JCPenny 6247 does not have a relay, or am I wrong I saw that switch and thought that was at first the problem...

T23

not sure if this helps here, but having just re-wired a super sidekick mic for someone; i have the info sitting here.

white/clear-audio
shield-ground
black-TX
red-RX

most times, and older obscure CB will be the same board as other popular radios.

for example, your JC Penney 981-6247 is the same as these radios:

US and Canadian SSB, PTBM048A0X, PTBM058COX:
AWA/Thorn 1503, Bowman CB950, Cardon Iroquios 40, Colt 480, 485DX, 890, 1000, 1200 (Excalibur), Gemtronics GTX77, GE 3-5825A, HyGain 2705 (V), 2785, 3108 (VIII), J.C. Penny 981-6247, JIL Citizen MPL-5, JIL SSB-M6, Lafayette Telsat SSB80, SSB120, SSB140, Midland 78-976, 79-892, Palomar 2900, Pearce-Simpson Super Panther, Bengal Mark I, RCA 14T302, Truetone CYJ4837A-87, Universe 5600: <L7, L11, L13, RV12-AMC, RV2-ALC, RV11-SSB Mic Gain, VR4-AM Power>

using this, you can find another radio that the info is more readily available for, such as the Boman CB950.

here is the mic wiring for your JC Penney radio, and then the mic wiring for the super sidekick to that radio.

1- Audio
2- Shield
3- Receive
4- Transmit

so, for the super sidekick, that would be:

1-white/clear (the one with the shield wrapped around it)
2-Shield/ground
3-red
4-black

hope this helps,
LC

Thanks loosecannon for the info, I couldn't find the colour to function chart for the SSK anywhere. Once I get a 4-pin lug from radio shed I'll give it go.

Geez that radio chassis was put into alot of radios, do those even look similar to mine? I know there's a colt black shadow mobile that looks like this one but without the faceplate.

T23

im sure they all looked a bit different.

its always been a popular thing in the CB manufacturing world to use the same innards with a bunch of different looking boxes.

still is today. the EPT3600 series boards are everywhere.

hope it works out for you.
LC

I got the 4-pin lug tonight, I am gonna put in on the cord this evening...

I'll let ya'll know how it goes...

T23

OK, I tried wiring it exactly like the diagram you posted and all it does is squeal, I think the audio amplifier has gone, it still works with the hand mic I rewired, I even tried wiring it the same way as my hand mic, but it either TXes constantly or squeals...

T23

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.