• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can this really happen?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
On my way home from work today and had my 148 gtl in the truck with a 102 SS on it. anyway I live in a subdivision and pass a park on my way home daily, well today I stopped to watch a couple of people flying remote control helicopters for like 2 minutes. I then went home and got in the shower (I'm a Mechanic) my wife comes to the bathroom telling me that a cop is at the front door and wants to speak to me about my "truck with the antenna on it". To make a long story shorter I am being accused of using my radio to purposely cause one of these guys to lose control of his R/C helicopter and crash it. He demanded a police report and says he will be taking me to small claims court. I have a R/C car and it states on the remote that it must accept all interference, Wouldn't it be the same for a helicopter or am I going to be buying someone a new toy? To make matters worse this is not a cheap R/C it was pretty big like 8 inches wide and maybe 2 foot long. The blades on top where busted off and the plastic is cracked all the way down one side and the tube going to the rear propeller is bent. My wife is now giving me a hard time and saying that I should take my radio out of my truck as she knew it would cause problems.

If you were:

Talking on the "A" channels (3A, 7A, 11A, 15A, and 19A).

Using too much power/mic gain too high and cause bleedover into those above freqs.

Using a linear with that radio while having the modulation in the radio too high (more than 100% mod.).

Then, yes, it could happen.
Even if it was accidental; you would still be liable.

A law suit would have no grounds, as there was no intent. But to prove it was you and not a failure of his own equipment is another matter. Malicious intent would also have to be proved. That is, that you went out there knowing that your interference would do his copter damage.

What brand/model of radio were you using at the time; and what channel/mode?

This is a tough one . . .

Last edited:
they use frequencies that are what are called A channels on cb radios . a 10k switch will take you there also . there's no way they can prove you or your radio were the cause of the accident . it's most likely it was his fault and he wanting to scare you into paying for his screw up . tell him to take you to court and when its thrown out you'll sue him for time missed from work and harassing him .

General Lee 10 Meter Radio Review

"......... Next is the +10 KHz switch. Many radio operators don’t understand the purpose of the +10 KHz switch. This switch increases the frequency by 10 KHz or 1 channel. If the radio was on channel one and the +10 KHz switch was turned on, the radio would then be on channel 2. You might ask what useful purpose does that serve. Well, these chassis are nothing more than converted CB chassis using the same switches used in CB radios. The switches have channel skips built in for the radio control (RC) channels used for remote control devices. These RC channels are also referred to as “A” channels. There are RC channels between channels 3 & 4, 7 & 8, 11 & 12, 15 & 16, and 19 & 20. Some radios designate them as 3A, 7A, 11A, 15A, and 19A. Being a function of the channel selector switch, this means these skips occur on all six bands making a grand total of 30 skipped channels or frequencies. To pick up one of these skips, go to 3, 7, 11, 15, or 19 and turn on the +10 KHz switch and you’re there. ......"

I was on 38 LSB but while sitting there I had turned it down and I don't have a amp on it. It does have extra channels and has been peaked and tuned. It's an older Cobra 148 GTL I bought used on craigslist about a year ago and had a local shop do all the work to it for me. The cop was in my favor and looked at my radio after I offered to show him I have no amp and no switches added to radio.

Most of the "Good" RC gear now days use higher freq's 2.4 Ghz is common. Most quality RC gear... planes/Helio's quit using the 27 Mhz many years ago.
More than likely his screw-up or one of his fellow flyer's crashed it using the same freq's
Tell him you'll see him in court and tell to bring all documentation on his equipment with him...Find out his exact make model/frequency range/and the FCC type acceptance information(download the owners manual)
should be Part 15...must accept all interference...highlight it and get it to the officer in charge.

Get the amp out and turn the radio back down to spec....just in case the Judge is a friend of his...
In reality even the PD has no jurisdiction in Indiana over an interference claim.
Proving malicious intent will be tough...but it still may cost you!:censored:
GL
All the Best
BJ

Is it possible? Yes. Is it very likely that you did cause the interference problem? Not really, especially if you weren't transmitting. The burden of proof is on the accuser, he has to show your ability to do that interfering, and has to prove that -you- were doing it.
Also, the likelihood that the RC'er was using 27 Mhz for a multi-control-channel RC helicopter is very slim, and just not very likely at all.
You can be sued for having brown hair, or blue eyes. But that certainly doesn't mean 'they' will win, even if you have brown hair or blue eyes. If that judge is also an RC'er, I think your chances are even better of winning such a law suit. I can certainly understand if that wreck victim was mad (I do that RC stuff too)! But that doesn't 'prove' anything.
I just don't think I'd 'sweat it' much. If/when it's over, ask that judge if that suit was one of those 'frivolous' ones. That's all the 'revenge' you'll need... ;)
- 'Doc

Possible interference

The chance of you having caused his problem is roughly equal to us having a snowstorm here in the Memphis area today. The reasons have been well stated by others already. More importantly, his chance of proving it in court is right between "slim & none" for those same reasons.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.