• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Capacitance Hat's Don't add Audio

MrSuburban

May 25, 2010
Basically the idea of a capacitance hat is to make up the length needed for resonance while limiting the vertical height. It can be a disc or wires, mesh etc anything that will add capacitance to the antenna.

To reduce Q in an antenna system, we can either improve the ground properties or add a capacitance hat above the coil. It will act like a big capacitor in lowering the resonant frequency of the antenna

Starting simple - a vertical antenna is in reality a simple series R-L-C resonant circuit. The vertical wire, rod, or tube is the inductor, L. The same vertical mast, in combination with the radials, forms the capacitor, C. Completing the circuit is the antenna radiation resistance Ra. Antenna radiation resistance varies with the length of the antenna. It shrinks as antenna length shrinks.

http://www.angelfire.com/psy/mrcoily/id37.htm

Mr. Coily Sales Pitch Version from his website

The "Original" Audio Ball top hat!!

"""Dictionary Version"""
Capacitance hat - This is a device sometimes found at the end of an element. It can be a cross, a disk, a ball, a loop, or just about anything conductive. It makes the element behave as if it is longer, maybe 10%-30% longer than it really is. It can save space with Gains in performance! It must Be Correctly designed,spaced,and it is extremely important that the top hat wires be symmetrical around or across the connection point.

Here is the web site Mr coily gleaned his information from and he conviently added his spin on it, and he is calling it a dictionary definition? It is a HD TV web Page that he added

Glossary A to F

"Capacitance hat - This is a device sometimes found at the end of an element. It can be a cross, a disk, a ball, a loop, or just about anything conductive. It makes the element behave as if it is longer, maybe 10%-30% longer than it really is. It can save space with almost no drop in performance. Capacitive hats are uncommon in TV antennas. (The Channel Master 3671B has six capacitive hats.)

Contrary to belief a Top Hat/Cap Hat does nothing for the Audio. The term Audio Ball came from guys who run alot of power which can create a Plasma at the end of the antenna from the sharp edge. You would be able to hear a persons voice. Putting a round ball on the end will eliminate a plasma from forming.

"When buying a antenna don't beleive this hype"

and I see Mr. Coily has a similar device on his antenner.

46ace1b0.jpg

on another forum coily told me those loops add 17 inches of length to his antennas . im sure tree branches love them ;)

Since no one yet has replied to this comment:
It makes the element behave as if it is longer, maybe 10%-30% longer than it really is.
I ask, "Does it?"
If so, then, with respect to it offering the equivalent of additional physical length in electrical length, would it not then present increased gain in performance? That's all the ad said, and nothing about antenna gain in db's.

Nothing in the ad paragraph said the ball added audio. Furthermore, one may call his antenna, and its components, anything he wants. There are Penetrators, which penetrate nothing, there are Punishers, which punish nothing, and there's a Thunderpole, which is more a pole than thunder, none of which by their names suggest themselves to be more than they are, misnomers that pass for names.

You'll need more than this to make a reasonable case for the argument.
Audio balls, golf balls, basketballs, football, and certainly not beach balls increase audio, but decently optimized antennas do help one to hear more than poorly optimized antennas, and who cares if they are called Gain Masters, I10k's, Imax2000's, or A99's? It's a sales gimmick that simply implies an advantage to using this antenna exactly as the glorified names of countless other products have.

I find the name AUDIO BALL, appropriate. Radio is first of all about audio, who and what you hear, and who or what hears you. The implication that one can effectively use this antenna with its audio ball to transmit and receive audio seems rather appropriate.

Gotta do better than pick on a silly name for a ball on the end of an antenna.

Reactions: Slowmover
"""Dictionary Version"""
Capacitance hat - This is a device sometimes found at the end of an element. It can be a cross, a disk, a ball, a loop, or just about anything conductive. It makes the element behave as if it is longer, maybe 10%-30% longer than it really is. It can save space with Gains in performance! It must Be Correctly designed,spaced,and it is extremely important that the top hat wires be symmetrical around or across the connection point.

Here is the web site Mr coily gleaned his information from and he conviently added his spin on it, and he is calling it a dictionary definition? It is a HD TV web Page that he added

Glossary A to F

"Capacitance hat - This is a device sometimes found at the end of an element. It can be a cross, a disk, a ball, a loop, or just about anything conductive. It makes the element behave as if it is longer, maybe 10%-30% longer than it really is. It can save space with almost no drop in performance. Capacitive hats are uncommon in TV antennas. (The Channel Master 3671B has six capacitive hats.)

theres a huge difference between "almost" no loss in performance and "gains" in performance.change a couple of words and you can make just about any sentence mean something completely different.

although i can't help wondering if thats just Coily's interpretation on what he read on that site in the same vein as the way he interprets the ARRL book. like i said before anyone can read books/webpages but actually interpreting what is there correctly is a completely different kettle of fish.

So do the dual loops at the top of a vector 4000 act as a cap hat or a coronal ball?

The difference between what would be considered a corona ball and a capacitance hat would be size. When it's small like a quarter, it's a corona ball. When it's big like a pizza pan, it's clearly a capacitance hat. This size does vary with frequency. It also becomes less easy to define when you enter the gray area of sizes that are not clearly small corona balls or large capacitance hats as is the case of the new Vector.

Here it is able to do both jobs. While it's somewhat small to be a very effective capacitance hat, it sure does extend the electronic length of the radiator and widens the bandwidth slightly by not have a sharp definitive end to the radiator. This is one reason the new Vector is shorter then the old. The ball does not extend the electronics length out to the old 7/8 wave but it adds length.

The shape of the ball also makes it act like a corona ball that could prevent a tip arc at extreme power levels. The stock gamma will stop you from ever needing the corona prevention it provides. Mr. Coily could improve his corona ball made from wire by making it more symmetrical. Both loops should be at the same height and attached at the top middle.

Nothing in the ad paragraph said the ball added audio. Furthermore, one may call his antenna, and its components, anything he wants.

Gotta do better than pick on a silly name for a ball on the end of an antenna.

He has said himself it added audio, no one is picking on the name as usual you get your panties in a bunch without knowing the whole story. Coily didnt coing the phrase audio ball he is coining that it is adding audio to his antennas.

Punish the competition!!

The "Original" audio ball top hat!!
Only 4'11" tall on The saburban 1.1.1-1.0.1 thru the band!

What is an audio ball?

Top hat,cap hat,theres all kinds of names for it! But all I have done is created a capacitance

up top! Forcing more signal/audio up top also adding exceptional recieve,shortening overall height,also eliminating any chance of high wattage arcing!!
And the best part is they Get out like hooker in church!

AND YOU DON'T HIT EVERYTHING!

Dx-comp-everyday use, these antenna are phenomenal!!
5 feet tall 1.1.1--1.0.1 swr!!

Audio Ball design provides increased receive and added performance bringing even more signal up to the top of the antenna !

1/4 x1/4 square coil 20kw!!

3/8 X 24 Stainless stud.

1/4 thick stinger!

18" shafts.

3/8 x 24 stainless stud.

Then it is a fact that the corona/capacitance ball on the coily antenna can increase performance while reducing height/saving space?

Mr. Coily could improve his corona ball made from wire by making it more symmetrical. Both loops should be at the same height and attached at the top middle.

i was thinking that too, [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"It must Be Correctly designed,spaced,and it is extremely important that the top hat wires be symmetrical around or across the connection point."[/FONT]

taken from his own advertising yet he chooses to ignore it.

where are you getting that it will increase performance on rx or audio??

I didn't. I asked a question. but if you're wondering what prompted the question it was this post by SW:
Shockwave said:
The difference between what would be considered a corona ball and a capacitance hat would be size. When it's small like a quarter, it's a corona ball. When it's big like a pizza pan, it's clearly a capacitance hat. This size does vary with frequency. It also becomes less easy to define when you enter the gray area of sizes that are not clearly small corona balls or large capacitance hats as is the case of the new Vector.

Here it is able to do both jobs. While it's somewhat small to be a very effective capacitance hat, it sure does extend the electronic length of the radiator and widens the bandwidth slightly by not have a sharp definitive end to the radiator. This is one reason the new Vector is shorter then the old. The ball does not extend the electronics length out to the old 7/8 wave but it adds length.

The shape of the ball also makes it act like a corona ball that could prevent a tip arc at extreme power levels. The stock gamma will stop you from ever needing the corona prevention it provides. Mr. Coily could improve his corona ball made from wire by making it more symmetrical. Both loops should be at the same height and attached at the top middle.
I was wanting to know whether or not the ball would increase performance, or if these things are matters relating to what is performance parameters of antennas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated