• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB antenna for a scanner?

OK I live in a apt. and have a 2 piece CB base antenna "Patriot 12' fiberglass" up as high as I could get it for my base station. Now I just purchased another scanner and would like an outside antenna though the land lord has not complained I feel a little funny putting up another antenna. My question is would I gain anything over the little attached scanner antenna if I used an antenna switch and tried to use my CB antenna to cover mainly the 400mhz UHF area" no 800 or trunked system here yet" for my scanner?

Try it. None of us knows just exactly how your situation would work with scanners, and experimenting is absolutely free. I'd guess that just about ANY outdoor antenna will perform rings around the usual POS that comes with just about ANY scanner.

Reactions: 1 person
it should work for you

all though i have not specifically tried that antenna, i have used my wilson 5k mag mount antenna before on my scanner in my car many times. I use an motorola adapter on the pl259 to plug into the scanner and it receives very good, much better than my homemade 1/4 wave mag mount i made for the scanner

give it a try you have only your efforts to put in and an adaptor at $4 bucks or so to buy unless you try to just rig it up somehow without a specific adaptor.

good luck and let us know how it works for you so others can learn.

Just for grins, find some small, unobtrusive looking wire. Tie a weight on the end of it and throw it on the roof (or over the roof). Stick the other end in the antenna jack. You might be surprised at how well that can work. How long? Beats me, it really isn't too critical, whatever length 'fits'.
Are you fairly close to a window? That window frame, or screen made from metal? That give you any ideas? If it will conduct electricity it can be used as an antenna. No, don't use the house wiring! At least not if it's 'hot'...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
The real problem I see is with that Patriot base antenna. I understand your situation but those were very poor antenna's.

Yes I agree, even though I have not used another antenna since the 80's "got back into CB just a little while back" I feel that this Patriot antenna is my main down fall! I am looking at the new Star Duster M400. Thanks everyone for the input I am gonna look for a antenna switch and a BNC connector adapter.

Just for grins, find some small, unobtrusive looking wire. Tie a weight on the end of it and throw it on the roof (or over the roof). Stick the other end in the antenna jack. You might be surprised at how well that can work. How long? Beats me, it really isn't too critical, whatever length 'fits'.
Are you fairly close to a window? That window frame, or screen made from metal? That give you any ideas? If it will conduct electricity it can be used as an antenna. No, don't use the house wiring! At least not if it's 'hot'...
- 'Doc

I ran a wire dipole (horizontal) in my attic at my last place...it worked well on the 20-500 range. I ran a dipole because I was told it was still needed for even a scanner/receiver, and not just a transmitter...not sure how true that is or not?

I've also used a Wilson 5000 and a Hustler CB antenna for a scanner before, it worked better than having the antenna on the inside of the car.

I ran a wire dipole (horizontal) in my attic at my last place...it worked well on the 20-500 range. I ran a dipole because I was told it was still needed for even a scanner/receiver, and not just a transmitter...not sure how true that is or not?

I've also used a Wilson 5000 and a Hustler CB antenna for a scanner before, it worked better than having the antenna on the inside of the car.

You DO need an antenna for a receiver, but it doesn't have to be a dipole, doesn't have to be a particular length, doesn't need an SWR check -- but it should be

(a) Outdoors
(b) Up as high as practicable
(c) As long as practicable

...just don't try to transmit with that antenna.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated