• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Milage Limit

What's your call sign? Yes I will live in my big world if you don't mind. Even if you do I will any way.
Reality is so much better than your fantasy.

Sorry...did I touch a nerve? This is only a stupid hobby, settle down. And my fantasy's doesn't have anything to do radio. Maybe some more free time to actually use it...ok I take that back.
It seems you don't have a good grasp of the obvious. But I'll be happy to spell it out to you. Your precious test is barely a road bump anymore. Thats my point...that's it. I'm sorry your offended.

There are quite a few reasons someone might not want to get their ham license.
I can see reason on both sides of the issue.

Ham radio can be expensive relative to CB radio.
You are much more likely to have a friend that will give you an old CB radio for next to nothing.
Even an old ham radio is sought after by someone and is worth money that some may not be able to spend.

I fix radios for people who only have the one radio and are sunk without it because their financial situation will not allow them to buy new equipment.

on the other hand, having a ham license will SAVE YOUR ASS if you have issues with your neighbors and your antenna.
If you have a ham license, they can go pound sand as long as it's on your property.
As a CBer, you have no recourse if you are told it's too high in the air, etc...

I am not a fan of how easy it is to stalk someone by simply knowing their call sign.

sure, i have a driver's license, but people on the road are not looking to find things out about me in general.
people on the radio can be trying to find info on you, and a call sign gives them an easy start.

and we cannot forget that it's not just other hams out there on the air waves.
there are plenty of people just listening to a shortwave radio that now know what your full name is, and most likely the city you live in.

the easy answer is, "well just don't piss anyone off."
as my recent posts can attest, that's not as easy for some of us. LOL
LC

Okay if the drift goes that way ...

See if I have this right . 47 C.F.R. § 95.411(a). states that(paraphrased) " if you have a linear you are presumed to have used it even if it is not in line at the time of the inspection and just on the premises."

Now as amateurs we have legal access to amplifiers up to 1.5KW .
As former CB operators we probably have a CB radio or two in the house.
So is the reverse true ? If we have an amplifier on the premises does that make the CB radio illegal ? Does it make the amplifier illegal? Does it make the operator apparently liable ?

So , yeah , some reforms are necessary.

For the time being my 11m gear is attached to 11m antennas. I don't know that that technicality insures my protection from prosecution (persecution ?) but ....

I operate a nearly stone stock TRC-458 as a base and a TRC-449 mobile . I'm not concerned about legal issues because I operate in a legal manner. However It does beg the question

Reactions: LeapFrog
So is the reverse true ? If we have an amplifier on the premises does that make the CB radio illegal ? Does it make the amplifier illegal? Does it make the operator apparently liable ?
As a Ham you are covered as far as owning an amp. Legally I can have it sitting right next to a CB(even plugged in to said CB as long as I can prove the CB TX's on 10 meters) and there is nothing illegal about that. There is no reform needed. The law states it very clearly, if your not a ham and own an amp you are in violation because its presumed it was "used". As a ham I can have a house full of amps and there is nothing illegal about it, type acceptance is not even needed. Not trying to promote moving up to amateur radio but if you are a CB op that like power having the ticket does offer you some protection in the event of a visit.

Yes, but there is no maximum or minimum power amplifier limit we can own or possess at our station, there is only a maximum power we can USE according to the class of license.

Having a license makes these RF amps legal to have at your station. Having a RF amp attached to a CB even with a license could be because breaking the rules because it shows intent unless that CB was modified for Amateur use only. Kind of a grey area there.

There is no grey area for having a RF amp at your CB station regardless if it's attached or not to a radio or antenna if the station owner does not possess an Amateur license.

CB's are illegal when modified for excess modulation and over legal power limits and being used on the CB band. This holds true regardless of being licensed. An Amateur can modify a CB to be used for amateur service though.

As an radio operator (CB, Ham, or otherwise), You as the operator or station owner are solely responsible for the proper radio operations within the class of your license or rules within the non-license class for power limits, spectral purity, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: w9cll and Tallman
Having a license does not give you complete freedom. Your radios must meet FCC requirements as far as bandwidth and proper transmission methods.
If a ham radio operator has a CB connected to linear and it is not modified for ten meters, he or she is in big trouble.

Reactions: w9cll
Sorry...did I touch a nerve? This is only a stupid hobby, settle down. And my fantasy's doesn't have anything to do radio. Maybe some more free time to actually use it...ok I take that back.
It seems you don't have a good grasp of the obvious. But I'll be happy to spell it out to you. Your precious test is barely a road bump anymore. Thats my point...that's it. I'm sorry your offended.
I'm not offended, just disappointed in your view. I did not realize that I was dealing with supreme being that knows all. I know people who will never posses the amateur level license because they can't grasp the concepts and I don't believe you actually have a amateur license.

Reactions: w9cll
Having a license does not give you complete freedom...
If a ham radio operator has a CB connected to linear and it is not modified for ten meters, he or she is in big trouble.

perhaps not.
lets see,.. CB radio with say 250 mW output into an amp that drives to 12 watts PEP is perfectly legal on CB band usage.

there is no legal difference if it is an internal or external amp PA.

perhaps not.
lets see,.. CB radio with say 250 mW output into an amp that drives to 12 watts PEP is perfectly legal on CB band usage.

there is no legal difference if it is an internal or external amp PA.
Incorrect, no external amplifier device shall be used on 11 meters, regardless of final output. (Ham or not).

Also, any illicit modifications (or adjustments) to the tranceiver void the "legal right" to operate it.

Edit:
I don't agree with all of the rules, but they are what they are, and they serve a purpose. :)

Last edited:
Yes, but there is no maximum or minimum power amplifier limit we can own or possess at our station, there is only a maximum power we can USE according to the class of license.

Well there is a 15dB gain limit on amateur amplifiers so that does actually limit the high end to some degree. That's why you only see grounded grid amps on the market now as their gain is much lower that grid driven amps.

Incorrect, no external amplifier device shall be used on 11 meters, regardless of final output. (Ham or not).

Also, any illicit modifications (or adjustments) to the tranceiver void the "legal right" to operate it.

Edit:
I don't agree with all of the rules, but they are what they are, and they serve a purpose. :)

47 CFR 2.815
Does NOT apply to any rigs made for personal usage, it only applies to manufacturing for commercial sales.

The GROL days are long gone

47 CFR 2.815
Does NOT apply to any rigs made for personal usage, it only applies to manufacturing for commercial sales.

The GROL days are long gone
(1) The external radio frequency power amplifier shall not be capable of amplification in the frequency band 26-28 MHz.

(2) The amplifier shall not be capable of easy modification to permit its use as an amplifier in the frequency band 26-28 MHz.
But the rules still exist.
Even a licensed Ham is not permitted to operate an amplifier in the Citizens Band space, it may be capable of operating there (like some older gear) if you are licensed and it would be okay to own, but no you cannot transmit on 11 with it..

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.